We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in downtown near zocolo

Level Contributor
17 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in downtown near zocolo

We are traveling with our one year old to merida, but decided to fly into cancun and spend the night In order to break up the journey for her. We fly in around noon and will leave the next morning for merida. We'd like to stay by the downtown zocolo and enjoy the plaza, get some real Mexican food, etc. it will be my birthday and I love mexico, so I don't want to spend it in some shiny resort, but in "real" Mexico. Can anyone recommend a hotel or at least an area to stay in? Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

While many Mexican cities , such as Merida, have worthwhile zocolos or plazas, not so much the case in Cancun. However, I do the same many times and stay in the center for an easy departure to Merida. Many good hotels but much depends on how much you want to spend for the night.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

Radisson Hotel Hacienda. Nice location downtown, good staff and great little restaurant on site. Have stayed 3 times going/coming to CUN. Close to Mercado 28 and restaurants on Yaxchillan(sp?)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

I have also used the Radisson several times and like it. However, I only wanted the OP to know that central Cancun is not typical of most Mexican cities with an active zocalo area. And unlike cities like Merida , where I would roam any street in the center at night, I would not do this in Cancun.

SK
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

And I agree with everything you said, but I was responding to the OP's question, not you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

I understand. And only meaning to say, I agree about the Radisson. A good choice.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

Caribe Internacional (I think that's the name) just across from the Radisson is also nice. I think the list price was like 700 pesos, but we ended up paying around 500 because we paid cash. Hotel Xbalamque is also pretty cool. I've not stayed there but I have friend who have and it is really interesting looking. There is also a pool.

Parque las Palapas is the area you will want to check out in the evening. Extremely vibrant family friendly environment with lots of snacks, vendors, and activity. Just a note: the main square in Merida is not referred to as the Zocalo but as "Plaza Principal."

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

¨ the main square in Merida is not referred to as the Zocalo but as "Plaza Principal."

Of course, that is likely the official name.. I spend about half my time in Merida and, correct or not, it is most often referred to by locals and many websites as Plaza Grande. The taxi drivers usually know it by Plaza Grande but be careful---if they don´t understand you correctly, they may try to take you to Gran Plaza, a large local mall.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

Thanks for the correction, Robert! My point rather was that if she asks for the zocalo, people might pause for a moment!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,050 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

Didn´t intend to correct you, gb. You are correct but most call it Plaza Grande. And I warned about the taxi because I once had a taxi driver head for Gran Plaza before I saw what he was doing.

Limbo
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight in downtown near zocolo

No worries! :)