We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport customs

omaha
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport customs

I fly from omaha to Chicago then to cancun with a 50 layover at Chicago before flying to cancun-

Do we go through customs in Chicago and is 50 mins enough time? It will be on a Thursday

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport customs

Security check only - 50 minutes is sufficient

Remember, Customs is when you arrive from a different country (Omaha still part of the US?)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,437 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport customs

You will go though immigration and customs upon arrival in Cancun. I would prefer more but your 50 minutes in Chicago should be enough.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,546 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport customs

As previously noted, on the way TO Cancun, a fifty minute layover at Chicago should be sufficient.

However, on the way home, you will clear US Customs at whatever airport is your first point of entry into the US. So if you have a similar route on the way back (i.e. Cancun-Chicago-Omaha), you will need a LOT more than 50 minutes. I'd estimate you'd need at least two hours, if not more.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport customs

Unless you have Global Entry - then very fast going through Customs

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport customs

Now I'm nervous. We have an hour and 15 min layover when we come back home. Cancun to Charlottle,NC to Kansas City. Hope that's enough time for customs. I never thought about it when booking flights.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,546 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport customs

Jaymie - I don't know for sure but I'd guess that Charlotte is a much smaller, less busy airport than Chicago. Your layover may still be cutting it a bit close though, so if I were you I'd at least consider doing the following:

- phone to airline to see if your connection time is within their acceptable parameters and/or consider changing to a later flight. At the very least, I'd find out what flights are scheduled for later that day so as to get an idea of potential alternatives if that connection does get missed;

- get familiar with the layout of Charlotte airport and know which general area the Kansas City flight is going to be departing from (so as to avoid gettng lost);

- maybe do carry-on only luggage on the way home so as to speed things up on that front;

- worst case scenario, be prepared to spend the night in Charlotte.

Good luck!

North Syracuse, New...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport customs

We connected at the Charlotte airport last night coming home from Cancun and had almost a 2.5 hour cushion to work with. Upon arrival we had to wait almost 45 minutes for a gate to clear. Then by the time we went thru immigrations and customs we were sprinting to catch our connector to Syracuse. For a smaller airport Charlotte is very busy with long lines!

Bowling Green...
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport customs

We connected through Charlotte going to Cancun (45 min layover) and also coming back from Cancun (1-1/2 hr layover). I prefer to allow more time but those flights offered best times. I was a bit nervous but it ended up being fine.

9. Re: Airport customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16