We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo, Egypt
12 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

Hello,

My husband and I are planning on visiting Mexico in less than a month; this August (5th to 11th). The main thing we are looking for is crystal blue white soft sand beaches that we can swim in.

We looked at visiting Cancun or Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas but are unsure where to go (some pictures are photoshopped and reviews are mixed).

I think Cancun has the best beaches we are looking for however I am worried about:

1. The weather in August (hurricane season and rain??)

2. Too many young tourists that we can't enjoy quiet time by the beach (I know its not spring break but still worried about that kind of crowd... not what we have in mind).

3. Are there nice resorts by the beach that are not all-inclusive that anyone would reccomend?

Would appreciate your help and advice as soon as possible as I need to start booking.

Thanks , Dee.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

1. Tropical activity is always a risk during hurricane season.

2. I think you'll find the quiet time you need.

3. Yes. I've stayed at and like both the Marriotts - Casa Magna and JW. I've read great things about the Ritz Carlton. The Westin, Royal Sands, Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach, and Presidente Intercontinental are also mentioned in past posts on this topic.

Poughkeepsie, NY
Level Contributor
527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

The Royal Sands was mentioned previously. I will tell you why you may like this resort. The hotel zone of Cancun is shaped like a " 7 ", with the quiet side being the top of the 7. The Royal Sands is on the " bottom" of the 7, with more rough oceanfront. However, by using the Royal Sands, you can use their free shuttle to go to the Royal Cancun on the more calm side. The shuttle will also access you to the Royal Caribbean and Royal Islander. Rent from an owner thru Redweek.com, omcancun, or tug2.net. If going thru an owner, the villas are non AI by choice.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

We've been lucky with August weather, its the time we always go to Cancun. The Marriotts are wonderful, the Ritz is even better, and the FA Grand Coral Beach looks nice.

Cancun won't be overrun with teens at this time of year, and those aren't the places they stay.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

If you go to the Royal Sands, Royal Carribbean or Royal Islander, then you don't have to worry about unruly college students or teenagers. I own a villa at the Royal Carribbean and security is very strict. If your kids or their friends start acting like loud jerks, then everyone in that villa will be tossed out. I love the quiet serenity of lounging by the outdoor pool or the beach. I guarrantee that your stay there will be tranquil and by the way, a villa has a kitchenette and there are grocery stores in each of the hotels so no need to go into town to buy food, beer or wine although there are great restaurants on the premises. I have been going there since 1991 and have never been disappointed with the facilities nor the very friendly staff there.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 17:12
Cairo, Egypt
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

Wow... Thank you all for your feedback... These are very useful tips.. We will look more into it.. Some of my friends are suggesting other areas near Cancun like Playa del Carmen or further Tulum, or even Aruba. I am just thinking if we should risk it and go there during the hurricane season (although a friend just told me today she was there last august and it was great) or maybe postpone the trip to another month when we are sure the weather would be perfect.. Will think it over...

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate it :)

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

I also have a time share at the Royal Hacienda in Playa de Carmen which is owned by the same people as the Royal Carribbean. What I loved about it was that there is something called "Fifth Avenue" which is a dust covered road in the middle of town. It goes for about twenty blocks and is lined with restaurants, bars, shops and dance clubs and so is more convenient that going into the town of Cancun, which is more complex to navigate and which is 40 kilometers from Playa de Carmen. I loved the feel and positive vibes of Playa de Carmen and all the young people there (mostly Americans and Mexicans) are well behaved and fun loving. I would pick this over Cancun in a New York minute. Of course, this time share too does not allow rowdy and drunk behaviour as it is owned strictly by the time share owners and policed by local security.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 15:25
Cairo, Egypt
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

Wow it sounds beautiful... I think that will be our choice whenever we end up going to the east side :) thanks again

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

I am also going to Mexico in July/August next year. Obviously I know it's rainy season but what does this actually mean? I don't mind rain if it's only like half an hour a day and then the sun is back out? Am I deluding myself?

9. Re: Visiting Cancun in August 2014??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 23:15