We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

First timers to Cancun. Staying at Iberostar Quetzal....SO excited!!

1. We got a Delta dream vacay and got the standard room. Did we make a mistake by not upgrading the room?

2. I would like to see some ruins but honestly, don't want to get stuck at a site for hours when I may look around for an hour and be done. Is there a way to see somewhat closeby ruins and head on back to the hotel in a short time?

3. the rule has always been to not drink the water or ice. But the frozen drinks are icy. Is this safe?

4. Wifi in the lobby only, right? For a price, right?

5. We are considering Xplore park. Any tips? What should we wear? Shoes?

Thank you!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,240 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

1st: Iberostar Quetzal in near Playa Del Carmen - not Cancun so a different TA forum - see tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g150812-i23-Playa_d…

Post there or look for more info - 1 hour south of Cancun

2. Ruins: I may look around for an hour and be done.

Take a taxi / bus / colectivo to the Tulum Ruins which can be done in 1-2 hours - then try the long 5 mile beach or visit Akumal

3. the rule has always been to not drink the water or ice - wrong

Where did you ever here this. Tap water - skip other than rinsing your mouth. Off resort - drink bottled water. All ice is purified

4. Xplor - great tourist park - bring water shoes

Edited: 13 July 2014, 03:39
Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

So sorry! I'll move my question...but THANK YOU for your answers! :)

Pendleton, Oregon
Level Contributor
404 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

We went to Coba on the ADO bus for cheap.It doesn't take all day. Do it - you'll be glad you did. Iberostar Quetzal is awesome. Go into PDC for great CHEAP massages and restaurants. Use bottled water and lots of DEET. Those Mosquitos are more dangerous than the water.

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

1. You can always upgrade when u get there

2. Your right about Tulum. You don't wanna be there all day so do not take a tour bus. Your hotel is gonna be so nice that your gonna want to get back. You can see the whole thing in less than an hr. You can take public transportation for a few dollars and pay the small fee at the ruins for admission for a fraction of the price of a tour and you won't be stuck there all day. If not comfortable taking public bus ( which really is a van), have the hotel get you a cab. It's definitely worth seeing though.

3. The ice in the top hotels is filtered and I never had a problem getting sick. If you get sick then it's probably from something else. Use bottle water to brush your teeth. Be careful with buffett food. Sometimes it sit out too long

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,386 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

We have stayed in Cancun proper a number of times, as well as Puerto Moreles, and recently was looking at the Iberostar Quetzal as a great alternative. Iberostar is a quality company, and you should love your stay. Just want to make sure that you realize you are quite far out of Cancun, and will have quite a long transfer from the airport. The area is beautiful in the Playa area-but just wanted to make sure you had an idea of where you were staying, and that it isn't Cancun.

Enjoy your trip!!

Chicago, Il.
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

We visited Quetzal while staying at Iberostar Paraiso Maya last year. It's a very nice resort with a lot of wildlife to see.Very tropical. The beach and ocean were fantastic. The pool was very nice as well. I would take a day to visit Playa paraiso complex. It's free to you for the day and it's very nice. There may be a shuttle service, but we took a taxi and it was approximately 30-minutes and $20-$25 each way. BTW, I always use/drink bottled water and limit ice intake. Why take a chance?

7. Re: Mom/daughter trip to Iberostar Quetzal - a few questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:17