We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Just for fun ----

What was the cheapest all inclusive you've ever gone to, and what was the worst thing about it?

The best?

And -- did you have fun on your trip anyway?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Just got to jump in here after trying to think back on experiences and prices I paid. Cheapest was RDC in Bucerias. Pretty much got what we paid for. Liquor was very poor, it was 2009...my stomach could never take it now! Rooms clean enough, but we like to spend evenings in our room, so require upscale ammenities and a view. Most expensive was Riu Palace Mexico in Playa Del Carmen three years in a row...06,07,08. Worth every penny, but, needed a change in scenery and did notice a decline in service in 08. Most disappointing experience was Playa Mazatlan in 2012. Food, alcohol and service was over promised and under delivered big time! Most bang for my buck...Now Amber in P.V. in 2014. Enjoying this topic.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Been trying for years to remember the hotel I stayed in years ago. Yalmakan! That was it. Back in the day when we had to scrounge every last penny for vacation and vacations to places like Cancun where once every 10 years. Makes me feel very blessed now. I also remember the ac being very good to the point that when you opened the door to the outside there was an audible "whoosh" of the cold dry air and the hot humid air colliding. Lol. We had the lagoon view with a tiny window on the ocean side where we could see a slice of turquoise. But we were beyond excited to be in Cancun. Nothing then was really a problem. We were happy just to be there even if we stayed in a room with no windows and bed. Anyone know what Yalmakan turned into?

northern new jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Cheapest - Feb 2011. Blue Bay Grand Esmeralda in Riviera Maya. We didn't choose it, we gambled on an Apple Vacations mystery trip. Not. The. Business.

Worst things about were a 4 way tie: layout (it's an octopus, rooms are on the tentacles, restaurants and fun stuff are in the middle, 10 minute walk from room to dinner or room to reception or concierge to beach which wouldn'tve been a problem if the property walls made of plants weren't so high, at least you could see your destination. OR you can wait for 20 for the shuttle to come....maybe). Food - how is it even possible to get awful Mexican food in Mexico? The smell - those 9 foot plants I was talking about? housed in the swampiest, funkiest little manmade canal we ever experienced (and we're from Jersey! lol). It was like running past a sewer each time we came back to our room. Atmosphere. One of only 3 restaurants on the place was closed for a day we were there, no warning or anything. Smoking is permitted in common areas.

Did we have a good time anyway? Hell yes, we were in Mexico, the beach was amazing the sun shone everyday we were there and we were on vacation.

Best (but not cheap) - The Beloved in Playa Mujeres - June 2014. I can't do it justice in words. The best. That is all. :D

south of Atlanta
Level Contributor
34 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

Cheapest was during/after swine flu (2009?) the GR Solaris... around $59/night per person. Food was good, pool was good, water was rough-ha! Great, cheap trip!

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,459 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

We've had some incredible deals. Got into the Le Blanc $200 deal and last year's SMB $250 deal. But a true honest "cheap" experience was our first trip in 98 to Cancun. We were recently married and my wife thought we should go to Cancun as she thought I would love it. She was right as we've done some 40+ trips since! We stayed at the old Club Las Velas on the lagoon side in Cancun. We paid $699 a piece flying out of St. Louis on a charter (almost 6 hour drive for us...). Anyway, the food was horrible and our room flooded. Beach was on the lagoon and the pools were small and surrounded by overweight, old topless European women. One of the workers blatantly hit on my wife all week to the point it started to make her uncomfortable and me angry. However, we had the best time. We got off resort everyday and did fun excursions or just took the bus down to the beach at the old Sheraton. Went to La Boom one night and had a blast as it was right next door to the resort. It's a shame that resort closed and it had beautiful grounds and a real mexican feel.

Wellington, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

I LOVE this thread. The cheapest AI we ever scored? $78 a night for 2 at the Grand Sirenis Maya. At that price, I couldn't complain about a thing. That's the beauty of a deal. Paying top dollar and being disappointed is another thing.

The worst resort we ever went to? Grand Princess. Opening day. No AC, No water, no plumbing. However, the food was spectacular. The rest was miserable. We did go back for free and they treated us very well to make up for the disaster, but the food had really gone downhill. We actually went back a third time. Never again.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
37. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

sun2994

"Worst place was in 1995 I got married in Jamaica at the Trelawny Beach Hotel. It was our first time to an all-inclusive"

Agreed! We honeymooned there in 1993. Horrible! And not cheap either. I remember the single a la carte dinner allowed, OMG, I'd forgotten about that part.

And to answer the OP's question, yes, we still had a good time-- we were on our honeymoon, and at least the ocean was fantastic.

KANSAS
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

The Gala as it was transitioning to Sandos. We were in the Hacienda Suites. You actually had to leave the resort through the lobby to get to the Hacienda section. It seemed The Gala had not been using the rooms. They smelled horrible. The shower handle broke off in my husband's hand, he turned around and the water sprayed out of the nozzel shooting him in the a#@. We would pack up in the morning with everything we could possibly need and not return until about 6. This was a Funjet hot deal for $599 a person. It was one heck of a deal and we had a blast. The trick... very low expectations and making your own fun :-)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
39. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

The Jack Tarr resort in Montego Bay, Jamaica in 1995. First Internet assisted hotel booking we ever made. Used Windows 95 (up from 3.1), a Packard Bell PC and an Internet service called Prodigy. We did NOT realize that Jack Tarr had actually sold to a different resort chain and the hotel was in the Dreaded TRANSITION stage. The staff was really upset due to the changeover and they were clearly "cleaning out the Freezer as far as food". Ran out of everything, almost eveyrday. We had to listen to all of the employees tell us every morning how unsure they were that the resort would still be open at Sun down !!!

WE had stayed in the Jack Tarr, Cancun, the year before and had really loved the Adults only concept. Back then, Club Med was the R rated resort, but Jack Tarr wasn't far behind. It was NOT Hedo ,but it wasn't Riu either!!!

40. Re: Your Cheapest All Inclusive - the Worst Thing About It

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:16