We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

We will be traveling in November and we will be traveling with our 19 year old son. Which resort do you recommend Hard Rock or Moon Palace? We are looking for a resort that has good food and a resort that our son will not get bored at. Thanks!

1. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 21:59
Edited: 22 July 2014, 21:59
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Hard Rock. High energy, nice facility,great beach, location, large malls close by, lots of restaurants.

Moon, outta the bus loop, icky beach, well it's just barely ok.. Also,the property is isolated form the rest of Cancun.

My 2 cents

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

I would say Moon Palace as there are more sports things to do -wave rider, swim with dolphins, Noir night club, hobie cats and if he is a golfer-there is the golf course & golf lessons.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Thank you for your replies they are much appreciated.

cancunone you mention that Moon Palace is out of the way is it far from the hotel zone? Is the beach there not a good place to swim? How is the food at Hard Rock? What type of entertainment do they have at Hard Rock?

sun2994 have you stayed at Moon Palace? How is the food at the resort? What type of entertainment do they have?

Thanks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

"cancunone you mention that Moon Palace is out of the way is it far from the hotel zone?"

It is outta the bus loop. Therefore you need a taxi to go or do anything in the hotel zone. To go shopping, restaurants,excursions. Gets expensive fast, and is a inconvenience to us. Yes, It is technically outta the hotel zone. Just by 5 minutes though. It is very close to the airport. Being outta the bus loop is why it' not on my list. Just me though. Others will argue the isolation is what they like about the place. .

"Is the beach there not a good place to swim?"

Lots of sea weed. The reef is just off shore from the hotel. However, not a strong surf, or rip like the hotel zone.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150807-d152896…

Click on the travelers photos and have a look. Also you can read some reviews. The food seems to get good reviews. Entertainment team has lots going on during the day pool side, games, etc.. Also, nightly shows. As i said earlier, a high energy resort. Moon is more laid back chill out place.

Edmonton, Alta.
Level Contributor
1,759 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

I have stayed at Moon Palace and Cancun Palace(now called HRHCancun) Both are great hotels.

You cannot swim in the ocean in front of HRHCancun. You can go in it, but afternoon waves can be very large. More like body surfing if you are a good swimmer. There is an undertow. No ocean sports supplied at HRHCancun. So even though MP may have seaweed, it is calmer and potentially you could swim in the ocean there.

The ocean is a prettier color at HRHCancun and more likely you can get ocean front rooms. All rooms at MP are not ocean front as the ocean front ones are Presidential suites. There are a few ocean front rooms at the Nizuc section of MP.

Food is good at both resorts. My kids like MP better as there are more choices for food. Both resorts have great Asian restaurants. We did not like the Italian at HRH Cancun. Room service choices are similar. We have seen most of the evening shows at the resorts over the years (I have a membership) so we don't go to them any more. I think they have similar evening things going on, but again, more bar choices at MP. MP had a recent renovation, so they have a new British bar(adults only) at Nizuc & often have live entertainment at the bars. I have not been to HRHCancun since the changeover. I have heard that they often have live bands performing by the pool and in the evening(not sure where in the evening)

I am headed to MP at the beginning of Aug. Next next year, we are thinking of trying HRHCancun, but if MP proves to good again, we may just go back. It is a hard decision. With staying at MP, they do have a shuttle bus that can take you over to Beach Palace for the afternoon. When we go in Aug., we are going to take the shuttle over to BP, stay for supper and then catch a taxi back to MP, rather than taking the afternoon shuttle back. Then we can get some shopping in as the Isla mall is a 5 min. walk from BP.

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Thank you cancunone I will review the website. Thank you for the information it has been very helpful and knowing we are out of the main areas does make a difference in our decision making. You have been very helpful and your assistance has been much appreciated!

Thank you again!

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

sun2994 thank you for the information regarding Moon Palace it has been very beneficial. It's good to hear the differences between the 2 resorts and hearing that you have stayed at them is beneficial. I will show these to my husband and son and I know the posts will be helpful in making our decision.

Thank you again and we look forward to Cancun in November!

Enjoy your trip in August!

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Have stayed at all three, Moon, Cancun Palace which is now Hard Rock Cancun. And most recently this past February at Hard Rock.

Moon is my favorite as it is spread out, lovely landscaping, wonderful private beach that you can walk for miles and not be bothered. Tons for kids to do, tons of choices for meals, pools and activities and a safer place to allow young teens to wander. I always felt safe letting my kids explore and meet other kids their age at Moon

Yes Moon is a taxi ride in and out to get down town and this adds up

Hard Rock was a blast and we were just there this past winter with our now grown kids, it is a party hotel! The ocean and beach are amazing but very, very strong undertow and hard to swim in. And ton of beach venders selling all kinds of stuff, legal and not legal

Easy walk and or public bus to all kinds of fun, shopping and nightlife in Cancun from Hard Rock

We really had a great time at Hard Rock but were bored with the limited options for dining and very small pool space compared to Moon.

We are more mega resort people I guess!

Staying at The Moon allows you to visit other Palace resorts as part of your All Inclusive fee, Beach Palace and Sun are on the strip so you could go there for the day and experience it all and then return to Moon at night

Staying at the Hard Rock you may not visit any other resorts

So it really depends on what you are looking for plus do you understand that your son is of legal drinking age in Mexico?

Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard Rock Hotel or Moon Palace

Thank you mcmommy for your input on Moon Palace and Hard Rock Resorts. Yes, I know the drinking age in Mexico is 18 thanks for the heads up though. Good to know you can visit the other Palace Resorts while you are at Moon Palace I did not know that. Thano you for you input it has been greatly appreciated knowing that you have spent time at both resorts helps us more in our decision making. Thanks!