We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tirane
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

I am searching for one week holiday in October and i do not know which to chose Cancun or Jamaica. Any suggestions?

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

Cancun would be may choice. Nightlife, Restaurants, Ruins, Snorkeling at Puerto Morales and Isla Mujeres. Probably air fare will be less and communications in Cancun is better.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,098 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

Cancun no doubt. So much more to do in the area.

Saint Peters...
Level Contributor
732 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

Agreed....Cancun....or better yet, 40 minutes south of Cancun to Playa del Carmen. Cancun / Riviera Maya has an unlimited number of things to do. Totally safe to leave the resort and explore on your own as well. Anymore, I don't even bother booking additional excursions as it's easier and cheaper to do things on your own. Well....except fishing....and that's only because my boat wont fit in the overhead compartment of the airplane. Thanks a lot bin Laden.

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

Jamaica is very nice too - especially if you go to one of the adults or couples only resorts. The food, service, and hospitality is very good there. It really depends on what type of vacation you are looking for.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

When is the last time you heard "Cancun isn't for everyone"??

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

We prefer Jamaica, specifically Negril for its beautiful beaches, great food, warm hospitality, rich culture, laid back vibe, and fully potable water supply. We enjoy the greater Cancun area as well, but don't really feel like we are leaving the country when we are in Cancun because it is so Americanized. Cancun is a convenient trip so we make it often, but Jamaica is where our hearts are.

Our favorite AI in Jamaica is Couples Swept Away, which has a remarkable list of inclusions the likes of which you will not find at a Mexican resort.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 22:56
Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,438 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

We have been to both and we love both, but as ReviewerMaryland1 has stated we prefer Jamaica. The beach in Negril can not be replicated in Cancun. Down the coast of Mexico (Akumal) the beaches are closer-but Negril beaches are spectacular. We just love the people of Jamaica as friendly, accommodating, and very "chill". Generally it is a little less money to go to Cancun-so if money is a concern you would probably need to look there. October is also hurricane season-so just keep that in mind. On the plus side-prices are better during hurricane season.

Enjoy your honeymoon wherever you land!!

Cypress, Ca
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

100% Jamaica! Either of the Couples resorts in Negril are beyond amazing. It is my definition of paradise! Cancun is beautiful but has NOTHING on Negril IMO. :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

I have been to Jamaica twice. Mobay and Negril. We absolutely love Negril. The people were incredible. Our cab driver Mike from Catcha Falling Star, also Trevor, Eddie and Pam at De Bar, T.Y. and the whole crew at the Seastar Saturday night reggae show. Having said that, we are opting to go to Cancun this year instead of Negril. It's closer to home, the hospitality, food and people are just as warm and wonderful, and we were mugged on the street outside of our resort in Jamaica by 2 men on a dirtbike. So much of Jamaica feels a little lawless and dangerous. What's with the soldier at the ATM in the roundabout carrying an assault rifle?! And then locked us in there and guarded it while we got our cash and got back into our cab?! I hope some of the beaches in Riviera Maya are just as nice as 7 mile beach in Negril. We'll see in 3 weeks. Can't wait!

Nashville
Level Contributor
461 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun or Jamaica for honeymoon on October ?

I love both. We just returned to Negril 3 weeks ago and it was beautiful as ever. The people there are so nice and appreciate you being there. It is very laid back in Negril. We stay at Coco LaPalm in Negril. To me there is a lot more to do in Cancun so it does really depend on what type of vacation you like. The beach in Cancun is calmer at the "top of the 7". We prefer the beach in that area. We will be going back to Cancun and spending a few days on Isla in October! You can't wrong with either place.