We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

Riverside...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

BEWARE! The price you see on the internet IS NOT WHAT YOU WILL PAY!

$17 per day does not include the insurance you must pay or authorize your credit card for $600!!!

DO NOT RESERVE A CAR WITH THIS COMPANY!

We ended up paying $418 for a small car for 6 days...OUCH.

MAUREEN AND THE "team" will scam your flip flops off off you AND do it with attitude.

The cheap price was too good to be true,, but we were stuck...had to get the keys to our rental home and did nnot have the luxury of finding another car. Shame on them!!!!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

You didnt really think you were going yo get a car for $17 a day, did you? Any ridiculously low rate like that is quoted exclusive of tax, airport service, liability insurance, which is mandatory (just like at home) and optional waivers for loss or damage.

Va
Level Contributor
10,980 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

$400 for 6 days is about what I pay in the US. Sounds like a fair deal, even better if it includes all the taxes.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,636 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

Taudry: your 1st post

Did you do any research prior

Did you check car rentals here before bookings or rely that anything on the Internet is true

I would not trust California car rental places at that price

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

When I travel to the US, I get a car for 14.99 per day. When all is done, its over 50US per day. I just do not see how you got scammed when you did not read the fine print. You should really think your thoughts through before posting in these travel forums the future.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

Excuse me for asking hut, I am particularly interested in how this dollar amount came to be.

I have been doing my research and it's quite common that when you find a car rate it can be inexpensive. But the required damage waiver is what's expensive by comparison. I'm going to CUN and I am curious exactly what happened so that I do jot find myself in that same situation. Thanks.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,636 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

Sub compacts with zero deductible and all insurance is about $35 + per day

Very resonable

Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

I also am comparing prices for car rentals. I am aware of the required liability insurance in mexico (found out the hard way a few years back). Is it safe to assume that the liability insurance that is required is the same rate from all rental agencies?

8. Re: Did anyone else get scammed by Dollar or Thrifty Rental Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 05:17