We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical emergency facility

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Medical emergency facility

Hello,

We are planning a trip to Cancun and PDC in December. Our 4 year old son has severe life threatening allergies and sometimes requires emergency medical assistance. Are there 24hr emergency medical facilities in Cancun and/or PDC in case its needed? are they easy to get to? we don't speak spanish, can that be a problem in medical facilities?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical emergency facility

If your child has life threatening challenges, and you do not speak any Spanish to communicate to medical personnel, I just do not see how you can go to another country, where medical standards and practices are totally different, and expect a positive outcome if something does actually happen. I would defiantly consult your doctor at home, for his opinion. Hospitals are normally located in the city proper, and some resorts are not anywhere near city hospitals. That would be another issue.

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical emergency facility

I recently was in Playa del Carmen for my honeymoon and ended up in the ER. I was Staying at Secrets and was to sick to be treated in the resort. The hospital was Americanized, clean, fast and efficient. I work in a major Chicago hospital and Mexicos hospital was great!!! Typically in the tourists spots. The hospitals are Americanized.

One bit of advice, since we are out of the states, our insurance is null and void in other countries. I would take out health insurance for Mexico for your family. If not you have to pay up front and you can not leave the hospital without payment.

I have nothing but nice things to say. I had blood drawn, respiratory neb treatment, chest X-ray and great care in the matter of 1.5 hours.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 05:11
3. Re: Medical emergency facility

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 12:35
Edited: 05 August 2014, 12:35
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,856 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical emergency facility

Actually there are several facilities that are worth looking into: if you are staying in Cancun there are several good Cancun hospitals, go to their websites and have your doctor look at them and tell you what he or she thinks your best bests would be.

Cheryl

Ohio
Level Contributor
533 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical emergency facility

I would most definately check with your health insurance provider to see which hospitals would be covered, if any, under your plan. As Shannon stated, if not covered, you will have to pay out of pocket. If you plan to use a credit card, be sure to call your cc company ahead of your trip and make them aware that you will be travelling to Mexico and that there may be a likelihood of using it.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,436 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical emergency facility

There are medical facilities in both Cancun and PdC .... but what if your child has an allergic reaction at 30,000 feet?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical emergency facility

It may be worth having your child's allergies, reactions, and records translated to Spanish.

Also, I was just looking at insurance for our own trip and it seems some will handle "preexisting conditions" differently.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical emergency facility

Thanks a lot for all the responses! A lot of good useful info. Certainly put my mind at ease a little.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical emergency facility

Please keep in mind their EMS service is nothing like in the states. They may have wonderful doctors and hospitals, but if it's a true life threatening situation needing immediate attention (as severe allergic reactions often are), you may not make it to the hospital in time. Perhaps reconsider when your child is older and hopefully the allergies are under better control.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,609 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical emergency facility

Make a cheat sheet of phrases you may need with the English version and the Spanish version so you know what you're saying. Include allergies and all medications. Keep copies of it in all bags, purses, backpacks, etc. You can point to be understood. My husband has Celiac Disease and I carry the Spanish Restaurant Card whenever we go. Surprisingly, he does better in Mexico than in the US, which is why we never go out to eat at home. Hope this site helps. It offers other food allergy cards too:

glutenfreepassport.com/allergy-gluten-free-t…

Good luck!