We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

Northwest
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

Has anyone driven a rental car to Chichen Itza ? Any advise? What are the odds that I will be stopped by a bandit policeman ?? What about the small towns you drive through?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

I have driven all over Mexico for many years and have yet to be stopped be a "bandit policeman". And small towns , depends on the route you take. You can go north and before the airport take the road to the Merida tollroad and you will see no towns until you exit near Valladolid. ( be warned, Mexican toll roads are good but not cheap!)

Or south to Tulum , then inland passing close to Coba, with many small towns and topes (speed bumps) along the way. Slow going but interesting.

You might want to go one way and return the other.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
311 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

Hmmmmmmmm... I've been thinking about this as well! I feel like such an old sap these days because instead of thinking of the great adventure it could be, I ponder on everything that could go wrong.

I have dreamed about visiting these ruins since I was a kid but it never occured to me I would waste 6 hours of my life on a bus to get there.

Thanks for the info, anymore would be appreciated!

**CRW25** - When will you be in Cancun?

tate

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

Don't hesitate to stop at shops along the road from Coba to Chichen Itza....we bought a great blanket for my son's bed there that I have never seen elsewhere. Also, take small pesos. At many speedbumps small children try to sell bags of sliced oranges. We do sometimes buy them but also stop at many of the little stores and purchase bottled drinks for the trip. I always carry a package of disposable baby wipes to wipe teh tops off and straws in my bag.

Also, if you happen to take the road to Valladolid, there is a fabulous square and beautiful church in that small town. There are several really good restaurants to have grilled lunches and the shops are very reasonable. SOmeone else (Robert or BSQ....I do think) mentioned purchasing silver there at much more reasonable rates than in Cancun.

Good luck and don't forget to venture off the beaten path.

Enjoy!

Cheryl

Northwest
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

I want to thank Robert, Tate and Cheryl for replying to my questions. You have all been very helpful. (We will be there in January 2007)

CRW25

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

It will be a long adventure....For those of you pondering this,my advice would be ,either rent a private plane,with a private guide that arrives before the masses and the high temps(about 200 a head),or stay at a Resort in that vicinity...I have paid my dues and remember my Trailways and Greyhound trips...Once went from Tx to NY on a bus........

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

CHichen itza is only a 2 1/2 drive on the cuota (toll road - tolls are about $20 each way). It's a 4 lane divided highway. Take drinks as there is only one stop along the way. The free road has lots of great little towns to stop at. Up to Valladolid is about an hour north.

It's really great to take the cuota over in the morning, leave early, fast trip, direct. Get there early, do your sightseeing before the crowds get there and the heat sets in, then leave. Stop in the village near Chichen and have a great lunch. There are some great places to eat and shop there. Then head back by the libre (free) road and venture up to Valladolid. Yes, it's longer going back as the speedlimit is lower and there are more stops to make, but it's really fun.

Go, enjoy!

Cheryl

7. Re: Taking a rental car from Playa to Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 05:21