We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Chicago
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Planning on going on a vacation with the family to Cancun/RM.

As I look for resorts, for the most part I keep reading many resorts with mixed reviews.

Mixed coming from the less than 5 star resorts.

I read everything from the hard beds, no AC, to food, to staff, to no updates, etc...

The reviews you take with a grain of salt. Some are legit complaints and other just seem

more of a preference.

We've all read the reviews so I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

So my question to you is:

How many bad/positive reviews before you either pass or book on a resort?

What are the bad reviews that just automatically make you pass a resort?

If it was my wife and I going alone, I probably wouldn't care about the reviews that much.

With kids in tow, for me, that changes everything.

So when I read the reviews now, I am more thinking about my kids.

Thoughts?

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

1st off I have often found that front desk people are not always the friendliest, so kick them out. Every one else is usually great & will try to do their best. Remember there could be a translation problem, usually on the person who can not speak the language. So throw most of them out.. Cheap hotel & cheapest room gets you hard beds & no view, you get what you pay for. Some time more if your lucky. You can stay at a $120 ocean view room with balcony or you can go next door & pay $400 for the same beach & ocean but that's where it ends. So food, room, beach & water color are the main things to look for.

Young kids for ocean safety stay on the top of the 7. Water is not as rough but also not as blue. Gran Caribe Real with kids would be nice for all..

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,950 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Jedi5 ,

First of all , thank you for the way you pose your questions..A space between your thought's, not just one long paragraph..Thus some reviews are just one long paragraph and it is hard to follow..

Reviews are always subjective and should be taken as the reviewer's "likes and dislike's" of their stay..

Too often, the reviewer will comment on thing's like, their flight was terrible, long waits at customs,transfer to the resort was not on time, weather was horrible,, etc..Those should be dismissed..

"The room did not have a great view of the ocean"..The lesser premium rooms may not have a "premium view", thus less expensive..What room did they have ?

"Food was not to their liking" We all like different types of food, no 2 are identical..

"The surf was too rough"..Yes along the eastern side of the 7, it can be treacherous, but mirror smooth on other days..Luck of the draw..

A articulate review listing room amenities, hot water availabity , friendliness of the resort employees , overall food quality, the appearance of the resort ( dated or in disrepair ), condition of the pool and the beach area ..

These are just a few thing's, I look for..

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

I take all reviews (good and bad!) with a grain of salt. One review I read recently stated that the person could not see the ocean **from their bed** in the room and had given a two-star review because of that! Ummm *no words* lol. "Ocean view" does not mean you can see the ocean from every square inch of your hotel room!

Food is subjective. My SIL, for example, could complain about Michelin-starred food so I always think about that when reading reviews about food! But if there are several reviews in a row that complain about the food, then there may be a problem. Likewise, if there are are several reviews in a row that rave about the food, this is a good sign!

Also, I tend to ignore negative reviews from people who complain that hotel workers do not speak English. We are guests in their country! Although I do speak Spanish, when I go to any country, I buy a phrase book so I can say everyday pleasantries such as "please" and "thank you" and ask for basic directions. (I have asked for the bathroom in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Greek, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, and Arabic!!!)

LaSalle, Canada
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Some great feedback so far and I agree that you should read each review with an open mind as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Keeping in mind topics like food are highly subjective.

In my experience false negative reviews are the ones you want to watch out for. Often if a review starts out with some sort of complaint (whether legitimate or not) and the guest feels as though they were not 'compensated' enough for the inconvenience with a free room upgrade etc. the entire review will have a harshly negative spin. An example may be a person books thru a third party (ie. Expedia) and takes issue upon arrival when they receive a partial oceanview and 'requested' oceanview when booking. Although resorts are not obligated to honor third party booking requests all of a sudden the resort goes from a 5-star to 3-star (review) because this person is peeved.

I think if you have a list of 'must haves' (for example must be family-friendly in your case) and find a few resorts that meet these needs you should be well on your way. Once you have it narrowed down to two or three post them here and have previous guests help you decide.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,014 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Id like to know which resorts you are interested in? Then I, or we the experts can give you our opinions on those resorts.

Resorts kick dirt on one another W fake reviews as well as create their own good ones. More so the upper end resorts but , there is no hard fast rule to this. What some people consider a roach of a hotel, another may consider it the Ritz. I feel u understand that.

So, where are u looking at in Cancun?

Edited: 07 August 2014, 23:19
Orange, California
Level Contributor
213 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Think of the thinks that matter to you most such as food , beach , amenities, Ect and then go through the reviews and look for mention of those things. Spent time going back and reading dozens of reviews if you could. I would look for patterns as well. If a particular resort keeps on getting reviewed negatively for their food it is more likely that there actually is a problem with the food then a resort that has mostly great reviews about the food with a few scattered complaints .

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

I tend to look for things that come up repeatedly, especially if they are mentioned by reviewers who generally liked everything else. Specifics like a/c not working. Toss out the one stars. Those are typically from someone who felt they were slighted in some way (no free upgrade). And food is very subjective.

I suggest once you narrow it down, post questions here about specific resorts. There is a wealth of knowledge and you will find people who have stayed at the resort who can answer questions.

Broxburn, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Agree with previous posters but remember wherever you decide to go if you go with the attitude that you are going to have a ball, you invariably will, however if you go looking for faults then you will find them. My mantra is simple, kick of those socks and sandals lol, chill out, relax with a cocktail, listen to the ocean, watch the sunsets and ask yourself what's not to love about life?

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

Just look at Hyatt Zilara 4 days ago. Hilarious. Be sure to read the last part. That will also tell you what kind of people they are.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Resorts and Mixed Reviews???

The iPod thief. Lol. Surprised he didn't complain that the resort made him pay for his flight. Those are easy to dismiss.