We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling With Engagement Ring

7 posts
Save Topic
Traveling With Engagement Ring

Thank you for the help in advance. I have searched a bit through the forums and I have not seen any topics specific to 2014 or Mexico. I am traveling to Cancun and plan to propose on the trip. From what I am seeing, it's not a good idea to keep the ring on your person while going through the body scanners.

I will have an average sized Jansport backpack as my carry on. I would appreciate any recommendations on how to safely pack it while also getting it through the xray without getting a manual search and ruining the surprise.

I have been to Mexico before but I don't recall if you suspect to search once you get to customs. Once again, thank you for your help.

41. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 22:21
Edited: 26 August 2014, 22:21
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,019 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

I leave my engagement ring at home and just wear my wedding band and then silver 'vacation' rings. We dive and snorkel and boogie board, etc. and I don't want to take the risk of losing them in the ocean, or having to take them off and leave them in the safe.

43. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 August 2014, 22:21
Edited: 26 August 2014, 22:21
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

I saw this on the news....

globalnews.ca/news/…

And immediately thought of this post.... wanted to share it with you.

7 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

Saw that link. The demand is so high that he is not taking anymore orders until October lol.

7 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

Thank you for all the help. Plan A, is to let her go ahead of me and once she starts putting her stuff on a tray, I'll jump on another line and tell her the guy waived me over or some B.S. Still working on a back up plan in case that one craps out.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

Just take it. I wear my large ring and have never had a problem. Just make sure it is the correct size so it does not fall off in the pool or ocean. Keep it with you until you get to your room then hide it. It will be safe.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,836 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

" once she starts putting her stuff on a tray, I'll jump on another line"

Dunno where you're flying from Mike but that wouldn't work at my airport (Calgary). In fact, at most airports I've flown from, once you've reached a certain point in the Security line, you're committed and can't change to another without attracting a signficant amount of attention.

I think the plan of putting the ring inside a sunglasses case inside your bag is probably the best bet and if you're really concerned, slip a little card into the sunglasses case noting that your girlfriend is not aware of your proposal plans. Of course, you'll want to quickly check your bag and the sunglasses case as they come out of the x-ray machine to make sure nothing has mysteriously disappeared (i.e. do this BEFORE you leave the Security area).

And if you don't come back on here and tell us all how it went, I will hunt you down!

Good luck!

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

I agree with Llisa and it will be fine. Wrap the ring in a small envelope or Kleenex before placing in the sunglass case so it won't shake around. Good Luck. Waiting to here how it goes.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Traveling With Engagement Ring

I was at the Valentin Imperial Maya in August.

A nice British woman had a bee land on her hand. She moved quickly, flicked her hand, and her wedding and diamond ring flew off her hand in to the sand.

About 8 of us searched for hours. We also had the security guy use a metal detector. After about 5 hours, by per luck, we found the diamond. They never found the wedding band.

EDIT: I just went back and read that this is a proposal. Congrats! Lock up the ring after she says yes :)

Edited: 06 September 2014, 01:27