We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running Paths in Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Running Paths in Cancun

Hi all: I'll be staying at the Westin Lagunamar in Cancun and wondering if anyone can suggest some good running paths? Or direct me to any sites/links? I am looking for 3-5 mile running paths in the morning. Thank you!

Va
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

There are sidewalks that line the street through the hotel zone. Keep in mind that it is Mexico and they are not always in the best shape. If you go north there is a separate path from the road that is better suited for a morning jog because it will keep you away from the road. Men will have no issue. Women can expect stares and cat calls. Always be aware of your surroundings.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
275 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

Why not use the beach?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

If you use sidewalks, remember that in Mexico cars don't stop for pedestrians.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

Thank you all for the suggestions--I think I will stick to running along the beach--shouldn't have any issues right?

Va
Level Contributor
10,594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

Have you tried running on the beach in Cancun? There is no hard pack. It is like running in 2 feet of snow. Your shoes will fill with sand in about 3 steps, and 100 yards feels like 5 miles. I would stick with the road. Check google earth street view if you want to see what the route is like. The separate sidewalk that is off the road starts at Leblanc. It continues all way to town which is much further than you will want to run unless you want to go as far as you can then ride the bus back. It isn't any worse than running in NYC.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

Thank you for the advisement--It's my first time in Mexico so hence the questions. Thanks!

Kansas City...
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

Regardless, take your ear buds out and beware of your surroundings..

Ohio
Level Contributor
526 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

We usually stay further north than the Westin but have walked/run down that far. Heading north from there is a nice route but as others have stated, be aware of vehicles. From the point of the 7 eastward is a really nice path so may be worth riding bus to say Presidente Intercontinental or Riu Palace Las Americas and starting from there. And sunngod has good advice for running on the beach, just be prepared.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

The walking or running path is on the west side of the blvd, or the lagoon side. Other side is.very dangerous due to all the reasons other s Have mentioned prior to me.

California
Level Contributor
991 posts
1,694 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Running Paths in Cancun

You should be aware that there are crocodiles in the lagoon, and that they do sometimes attack tourists. Stay out of and away from the water!