We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

marriage certificate or not??

Council Bluffs Iowa
11 posts
Save Topic
marriage certificate or not??

Ok all......HELP......I have been reading on here that you need a marriage certificate to return back to states if your name is different on your DL than your BC.......I have heard alot of both answers.....I am worried now because we leave Sat and there is no way I am going to receive this document from Las Vegas before we leave....I have my certified BC,both SS cards one with my maiden name and my current one with my married name as well as my DL with my married name.....I am divorced but my divorce papers do not have my maiden name on them anywhere.....Should I be panicking as much as I am or not????? Thanks All for input Angie

kansas city
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: marriage certificate or not??

i had to show my marriage cert when we travelled to cancun years ago -one more reason why i got a passport-so much easier !

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: marriage certificate or not??

I have always showed my marriage cert before I got a passport, but have heard others say they haven't.

it could be a hit or miss type of thing depending on the customs agent.

I wouldn't want to take the chance, how about getting the marriage cert Fed Ex'd to you, tell them your circumstances and pay the shipping, it may be worth the peace of mind.

Kansas
Level Contributor
319 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: marriage certificate or not??

The first two times I went to Mexico (before I got a passport) I was asked for my marriage license. Several states will overnight them to you at your expense, It is worth a try.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,497 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: marriage certificate or not??

You can get an emergency passport through online services in 24 hours. That would be the safest solution. You still have a time before Saturday: three full business days.

Run a search on "emergency US passport." I did, and several came up.

Council Bluffs Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: marriage certificate or not??

I managed to locate a company in Las Vegas to fed-ex my marriage cert to me overnite......just got confirmation it would arrive tomorrow by 3pm......cost me $60......but I think you all are right .....the cost is well worth peace of mind......the next time I travel out of the country I will be required to have a passport anyway so I will be getting one LONG before my next scheduled vacation.......thanks all for your input.....and for $60 they better ask to see it or they will be looking at it anyway just because!!!!

6. Re: marriage certificate or not??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 20:19