We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

San Diego...
Level Contributor
210 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

Laguna Grill of course, La Destilleria was a cute little place with lots of choices. El Fish Fritanga seemed a little iffy, but we gave it a try; we were so glad we did. They had the best shrimp tacos priced at less than $2 each. La Parillo downtown was hard to find by bus. A local came to our rescue and walked us for blocks right to the front door. There we had the Sunday buffet (before 5:30) for about $10 pp. Shrimp, steak, flan were included along with traditional fare.

In Isla we ate at the Sunset Grill twice for their dinner special. Appetizer, entre & dessert for about 150 pesos. Steak, key lime pie, and other yummy fare, not to mention the 2-for-1 happy hour cocktails. We also ate at Elements of The Island for breakfast twice. Very good food and exceptionally friendly people. Their omelet or scrambled egg breakfasts included beverage plus freshly squeezed juice.

We stopped at Playa Lancheros on our way to Dolphin Discovery. A quick bite of Tix n Xic, chillaquillas and mole enchiladas. Well, there was nothing quick about it, and we certainly found out why the Tix n Xic were about $7 while the other dishes were less than $4. The plate was ENORMOUS. It was enough for 10 people for less than $20.

We loved all the food, and never had the slightest digestive problem. The only thing to remember is, don't be in a hurry. Be prepared to linger over a good meal. They don't rush you out, that's for sure. Fast food it's not. Good food, yes.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

Thanks LaMesan,

Glad you enjoyed our recommendations, especially El Fish Fritanga :)

Remember everyone, Paolos original restaurant , Locanda Paolo is still open and wonderful, he is located downtown on Av Bonampak

Beckville, Texas
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

La Parrilla is one of my favorite in "el centro". try the filete de res con huitlacoche.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,119 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

I saw your reference to huitlacoche--I wonder how many know what it is. It is considered a delicacy in Mexico!

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

Huitlacoche, yum and ick at the same time. Interesting flavor, you just can´t think about what it is that you are eating. Or I can´t anyway! Not something I eat very often, that´s for sure. Actually, the only place I eat it as at Casa de las Margaritas.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

okayyyyy so what is it? Also, fish tacos sound kinda gross, but I guess I could try them.... ;-P

Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

Here's a copy and paste of a definition of huitlacoche....

corn fungus delicacy; sleepy excrement (Aztec); common in central Mexico; during the rainy season, a fungus develops between the husks and the ripe kernels where the kernels will blacken, contort and swell to form this musty fungus; valued for centuries in Mexico; has an earthy and distinct taste finally similar to mushrooms or truffles; lends a black hue and resonant aroma to stuffings for empanadas, tamales and quesadillas; makes distinctive sauces; usually sold cut from the cob ...

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

I love Huitlacoche especially in Quesadillas yummy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

La Destileria was the first place I ate when I went to Cancun back in 2000. I love that place and El Fish Fritanga Pescadillas is fantastic as well... not to mention the cando maps are great, very well designed in my opinion.

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE Cancun Travel Survey Guide Book

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

Alrighty then... sounds like quite a few people like it - I may have to try it although I am not very adventurous especially when it comes to foods associated with the word "excretement" - ha!!! I do love mexican guacamole though and swear I could live on it for the entire time there - only wish it was fat free!

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our favorite Mapchick restaurant recommendations

I think using the word excrement is bad sounds like maybe they made a mistake It is a Fungus that Grows on corn Like Canuck said similar to Mushrooms, It does not have a strong smell or taste it is surprisingly good.