We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Erosion

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Erosion

This headline from todays Por Esto newspaper:

"Eroded 50% of Recovered Beaches "

The article states that Cancuns beaches are eroding quickly and no plan has been established to maintain or stop the beach erosion. This is sad since they did such a good job of recovering the damage from Wilma but apparently now have no plan or budget to maintain.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Erosion

Good news and bad news:

Good:

It is the time of year when the beach always goes away some--currents, winds, etc. Part of the "seasons" we have here. Doing anything now would be like trying to "hold back the hands of time"--something we would like to do, try to do but, in the end purely cosmetic.

Bad:

"They" (local, State and Federal officials + local hoteliers and others) "worked" for 15 years to rebuild the beaches after Gilberto and could never come to any agreement. In order to come to any agreement about the maintenance and/or rebuilding they need 2 prerequisites:

1.- it must not cost anyone involved anything (of course it can cost the "other guy" something) and

2.- the people involved must get a piece of the monetary action.

They had a well-studied program and engineering studies and quotes done many years before Wilma but--nada. Fox came in, put up the money (something they liked) and took the project out of the hands of all of the above-mentioned people (something they didn't like) and turned it over to the Federal Minister of Tourism and the CFE (Light Company!!) and got it done.

Now they are left with "maintenance." They have come up with more studies and projects but no money. I am not holding my breath.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Erosion

That is unfortunate news Robert.

The only barometer that I have had of the situation would be the beach at the Crown Paradise Club. It is the only resort that I have been to repeatedly, having taken our kids there every year for the last four years. We watched old videos of the vacations last week and again noticed that the beach shrunk by about 30ft between year 1 and year 3, and that was without any hurricanes.

We were very impressed with the improvements from the beach recovery when we were there in August of this year. It is a shame that it is eroding again so quickly. This is a very important issue that needs to be addressed by the Mexican officials.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Erosion

Great information , Jim. That is exactly along the lines with what I read in todays papers--many plans and meetings about fixing the problems but no money to do it and thus no action being taken.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Erosion

No problemo! They are rasing the hotel tax another 1% and that should easily pay for yearly beach recovery. It's only $20Million well spent to bring in billions$$$! I don't see them letting their cash cow deterioted.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,161 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Erosion

I hope it is no problemo! While it sounds like they will have the funds available, you can't always count on local officials to spend the funds wisely. And, so far, they have no plan--only much talk.

6. Re: Beach Erosion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 18:20