We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I often read about people staying at an AI for their entire stay and never leaving. Doesn't that get boring? For those that stay confined to an AI, do you prefer to just relax?

Help me understand. Note that my need to move around is just one reason why I have no desire to go on a cruise.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
9,502 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I could definitely stay at the resort and not be bored, however there are 2 things I have to do....Joe's Jeep Adventure and go to My Place. Other than that, I'm happy to stay at the resort. That's the reason I do AI in Cancun.

Wellington, Ohio
Level Contributor
561 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

My husband and I went to Punta Cana for our honeymoon and, with the exception of one half day excursion, stayed on resort the whole week. Our resort was fairly remote and it was a long drive to get anywhere. Plus, in Punta Cana there isn't really a central area to go to for dining and entertainment. We pretty much spent our days on the beach or in the pool and we never once were bored. Our lives at home are so busy that it was so nice to just spend a week together enjoying each other's company. The point of a beach vacation is to spend most of it on the beach. If I want to do alot of sight seeing I would choose a different type of area such as the western states, New England, or mabe Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Iowa
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I could stay at the resort the whole time and enjoy the beach and sun. My husband can't. So we did both. Went out for awhile each day and enjoyed the beach at the resort each day. He went fishing our last full day there and I had my whole beach day!

As others have said, it is a great escape from your regular life. Working, running kids everywhere, never enough time in the day!

I would not compare it to be on a cruise. I have no desire to be on a cruise.

PA
Level Contributor
575 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

We always venture off property for a time. Cancun is very easy to navigate. We LOVED Joe's Jeep Adventure!!! Didn't try the nightlife though because we are early risers and don't stay up very late. My Place is a must this time though! We can't wait to get back in Dec.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
58 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I like to get out of the hotel and explore. I did not like Jamaica for that reason, I felt trapped in the hotel (not safe to walk around). Maybe when my hubby and I get older we would stay longer at the AI.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I like to venture out and hit different sites. Last time out we stayed at ASP, spent a few nights at Playa Del Secreto, made a couple of trips to Puerto Morelos and went shopping at that big supermarket on the main highway by Playa Del Carmen. My wife said it was too much travelling for her. She likes to lay out on the beach or poolside and slip into a coma for a week only getting up for meals or the bathroom.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Toronto
Level Contributor
992 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

Copilot, it is very simple.

I don't go to Cancun for the restaurants. Being the most multicultural city in the world, Toronto has all kinds of restaurants where I can try many different cuisines, from Mexican to Greek, from Chinese to Polish, from Indian to French. I have way more variety and probably more quality here than at restaurants in Cancun, with the added bonus that I can use my credit card without the fear of getting it cloned.

I don't go to Cancun for the nightclubs. There are many of those here too. Besides, second-hand smoke irritates my throat very badly, not to mention the eventual horrible consequences of being exposed to it. Even smoking-friendly France has just announced that they will ban smoking in all closed public places by 2008, yet third-world Mexico has no plan to follow suit. As long as they allow smoking in Cancun nightclubs they won't get my business.

I don't go to Cancun to go shopping. Other than buying a few souvenirs, which I can get at my hotel store or at the airport while I wait for my plane, I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a trip to a foreign country to spend hours shopping at a mall. I'm not interested in the open-air markets in downtown Cancun either. I hate to be harassed into buying anything.

I go to Cancun just for what I don't have here in Toronto: THE BEAUTIFUL BEACH!

For me Cancun starts and ends there, and as long as I have a beautiful beach to enjoy, there's hardly anything that will pull me away from the hotel.

As an added bonus, going to all-inclusive hotels makes my trip very relaxing because I don't have to wonder about where or what I'm going to eat for lunch and dinner every day, and, most importantly, I don't have to worry about all the hassles of paying at a restaurant.

Granted, I never go to Cancun for over a week, so I never get bored.

For me, it's all-inclusive all the way.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

I can't imagine never leaving the resort! There's so much to love about this area, that people are really missing a lot by never leaving.

The beach is fantastic, but so is Playa, Tulum, Isla, and well, just driving around and exploring. That's my favorite thing.

And...anyone who has not left their resort to go to some of the great restaurants, even if you're from a great restaurant town, is really missing something. I'm from an area with some great restaurants, too, southern Ca., but there's no place like Laguna Grill or Las Habichuelas in socal! Going to those 2 spots is so romantic! Not to mention Oscar y Llalos!

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Laguna Grill
Laguna Grill
6 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Idaho
Level Contributor
1,231 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

Normally my husband and I will take several excursions and I will go shopping while he goes diving or golfing. To us AI does not mean you are stuck at the resort. My last trip down however I had just hurt my foot and was told to stay off it for two weeks. There is no better place to stay off your foot for two weeks than a nice AI resort on the beach in Mexico. I had a large pile of books to read through and had a great relaxing time healing my foot. My husband still did the diving and golfing thing so he had a good time too.

CT
Level Contributor
445 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: You never leave your AI. Do you get bored?

Going AI definately has benefits. However, most AIs only offer buffets, and that does get old. Typically, I plan to stay 3 days beach/poolside and those are usually the nights that I'll venture out to eat. Then 2 days I'll plan excursions, by the time I get back I'm usually exhausted, and staying in and eating is just a better choice.