We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snobbery...a rant

New Jersey
Level Contributor
218 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Snobbery...a rant

I come to Cancun every year and stay at a lovely timeshare that is part of the Royal Resorts. I adore Cancun.

I find it somewhat strange that people who have not been to Cancun feel that it is not that nice or for drunken spring breakers.

Do you find that you get strange reactions from people that have never been there? Almost snobbish that it isn't in the same class as perhaps another Carribean destination?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snobbery...a rant

I think you find that every where. Some people are never pleased and they stiick out because they make the most noise with their complaints.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snobbery...a rant

Any destination has stereotypes and perceptions.

People hear of these perceptions, and feel that they are knowledgable of a particular destination. It makes people feel feel smart.

Combine that with the above poster's valid comment that people self elevate themselves by constantly whining, complaining and critizing, and you get and idea as to why people behave in this manner.

Go to Cancun for Spring break parties and public drunkeness.

Go to Jamaica to smoke Weed

Go to vegas for h@@kers, gambling and living life in sin

Go to Paris for a romantic getaway with your girlfriend.

Come to Canada to see igloos, lumberjacks, snow in the

summertime. :P

Its all stereotyping...... Cancun is awesome, and provides something for everyone, whether you're 18. or 81.

Regards.

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snobbery...a rant

I might have a different take on snobbery as a single, budget traveler. I have heard several times " Oh I love Cancun, you never have to leave the resort." You should see the faces when I talk about $10 hostel rooms (one is the penthouse suite in a downtown hotel) , taco stands and street vendors. People think I am nuts and I think they are a bit snobbish. I do not have the budget or desire to stay at a huge AI resort.

I think many Americans are scared to travel to other countries, especially Mexico. When I mention I have gone sola to Guatemala, Belize, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama people are shocked and fear for my life. One girl actually said "Belize...aren't there poor people there?" Many of us take for granted our luxurious lifestyle. Myself never being "rich", I truly understand the priviledges and advantage of being born here after traveling to less fortunate areas, visiting orphanages and special needs schools. I encourage all to get out of their comfort zones and see how most of the rest of the world lives.

Off my soapbox to answer your questions:

I think Cancun had a wild, spring break rep in the past. After Wilma, many people think the whole area is still a huge pile of rubble.

I'm sure others will have different takes on the issue. This is just the opinion of one proud penny-pinching, reverse snob striving for social equality.

I would like to pass along my motto for the past 2 years

"WE CAN LIVE HERE AND BE HAPPY WITH LESS"

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snobbery...a rant

You are so right coloradowanderer . Many Americans are afraid to venture far from their AI's and cruise ships and really see the world. I travel to many of the places you mentioned and rarely see an Ameican tourist--many Europeans but very few Americans. It is a shame, they miss so much.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
568 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snobbery...a rant

Coloradowanderer, How lucky you are! When I was young it was a tent, a cooler and a VW bug, Where I went depended on how far and back I could get in a week. Now I'm married two kids and a mortgage! There are always going to be those who think they are better, whatever. Now I love to travel but I have to save, save, save. I think you are very fortunate and SMART. Oh, to be young again. :)-

DETROIT
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snobbery...a rant

OMG....

That is so funny you should say that....Our first trip to Cancun over 10 years ago, people were telling me and my husband..Don't take your jewelry, be on the look out for rip off's, don't carry money or credit cards with you and all this crazy stuff. Off course being from detroit, I took it all with a grain of salt.

Then when we got to cancun and seen how wonderful the people who work and live there are we just melted and it was perfect from the moment we entered the Sheraton grounds. It was so beautful and my husband and I fell in Love with Cancun right then and there. We have pictures from our first trip and we look at them all the time, and go over all the fun we had the first time there, and how it took us like 5 trips to get the local stuff down pat.

We came home and touted Cancun to anyone who would listen to Us. We have had many customers from our restaurant go there and love it and many go 2 times a year. We keep travel brouchers and maps of cancun at the restaurant to give away to help get more tourists there. We have the pictures on our computor there to show them the beach is OK when we were the in August. In fact next year Me and My daughter and a bunch of chicks are planning a trip there together and some chick customers are going to. Watch out cancun. Waitress' and Cooks with an attitude on the way ;)

CO
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snobbery...a rant

I am so happy to read these responses, thought I would get flamed for sure. You are right Robert, more Europeans and international traveler's venture out.

Wazzu- We did that VW travel thing again in the 90's, following a few bands around the country. I started traveling with a tent and slinging grilled cheeses, now I have a "real" job and a passport. Watch Out World! Thanks for the smart comment, that makes me smile! I am not so young, 31, but no kiddies to worry about. I work at a university and save like crazy, rarely go out and travel on a shoestring.

Theresa-Have a ball with the chicks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snobbery...a rant

I, too , admire you, coloradowanderer. I still do the budget travel route and that is what I enjoy most, to really discover a place. Afraid I am not as young as you so the backpacking days are over.

I recently met someone your age who is from Norway and has been hitchiking all over Mexico and Central America for many months now. She picks up an odd job here and there but after a bit moves on. She plans to visit me in January and can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures!

State of Disarray
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Snobbery...a rant

I think the budget, hitch-hiking, natural way of travel is a great thing. It's more European in origin. More relaxed & openminded. Some of the American aversion to this kind of travel is due to fear........ fear for safety, fear of the unknown, fear of discomfort. The other part of it is that our youth is driven toward oppulence........ those that have it, & those that want it. Sorry if I offend anyone, but all you see is the Hilton girl, the Ritchie girl, the MTV hype & the "Gone wild" stuff being thrown at them. Sure there are other values & ways out there, but those are out-shouted by the other, flashy hype. It's all about what your money will buy. I did do the natural travel when I was younger. Now, I want to be pampered. I'll downgrade, as long as I don't have to go grungy & roachy. That is, if I can afford the airfare!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snobbery...a rant

Agree about the grungy and roachy---not for me. Many people in this area enjoy the thatch palapa roof--not me. Too many unknown critters reside in those roofs just over your bed!