We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

I am getting baffled by all the choices!

My husband and I (aged 27 & 29) are looking to relax, do some wandering around, sit on our room balcony with an ocean view ideally reading books, do some snorkelling/diving perhaps as we're both qualified, have some quality time together but NOT take part in any organised topless water volleyball or poolside salsa lessons etc: just do our own thing. We'd like to be able to wander the town now and again, but aren't fussed about the huge nightclubs party scene - we're happy having a few margheritas in a bar and some tacos on our own! We may do some day trips to the ruins, Isla Mujeres etc.

As we'll happily eat around and don't like hotel "activities", All Inc seems a waste of money. We do like a nice room/nice hotel though, so ideally 4* would be good... as long as it's good value.

Maybe JW Marriott, or Hilton Golf & Spa (no interest in golf though), or Golden Parnassus, or GR Solaris? Any thoughts?

Riu Palace, Le Blanc, Ritz Carlton are a bit too pricy for us though!

All help very much appreciated!! :)

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
628 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Hyatt Cancun Caribe and Villas

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14,006 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Hilton was our only EP that we've done in Cancun, and we were mostly pleased with it. The pool area is great, and the beach is amazing. Found the overall service to be lacking that "friendliness" you expect in Mexico. However, we would probably return to this hotel again. The rooms were nice, and the beds very comfortable. We never ate at the hotel, as we heard the food was overpriced and average.

I think the Mariotts, Ritz, are all good ideas as well - tho we've never stayed there ourselves. How about LeMeridien? Or Gran Melia (gorgeous pool area!!).

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Golden Parnassus is strictly an All Inclusive. It is our personal favorite as the food is great and the bars, though fun, are not so raucous that it would preclude personal quality time. We simply adore the staff. Having said all that, there are lots of fun places to stay. My favorite EP in Cancun, (before we found Golden Parnassus-prev GCPS), was the Marriott Casa Magna. We stayed there a half a dozen times and it was always good. They had the same staff year after year and it was a lovely property. My main complaint about them, (like many other hotels in Cancun), is that they don't have any outside, pool/beachside bars open at night. The Casa Magna swim up bar is great, but it closes at dusk. We have not stayed at the JW Marriott, but had dinner over there when staying at the Casa Magna and I found it downright stuffy. We also walked around over there to check out the Spa services. My husband commented that we never heard anyone laugh in the whole place. That may be an atmosphere some would like. We are not among those. I love to stay where people all around are having fun and laughing. Golden Parnassus has several options at night and the best one, in my opinion, is the Tiki bar between the beach and the pool. We have stayed as a number of EP hotels that have changed owners and names over the years. Mostly, they are all good. We have never had less than a blast on any of the 18-20 trips to Cancun. We stayed at some places that we wouldn't recommend because of location, (Westin Regina), and others that were merely OK, (Cancun Palace). The point is, most of the hotels are fine. If you go there with the intention of having a good time, you will. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

I just realized you mentioned the Dec 2-9 week. That is when we, (6 of us), are going. If you decide to try the GP, we may run into you at the Tiki. One more thing to mention is that a lot of the guests at GP are older than you. We have children older than you, but I have seen younger people there who had a lot of fun.

State of Disarray
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Omni Cancun has what you are looking for. The AI is optional. We will be there Dec 02 - Dec 09.

London, England
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Thank you for all your very helpful sugegstions! We are really looking forward to it.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Kixx

My husband and I are the same ages as you and your husband and are looking for the exact same things. We booked the Royal Service at the Gran Melia. There is a separate adults only tower and pool with concierge service and breakfast and some drinks are included. We really liked that option while still have the opportunity to explore different restaurants and do a few excursions. I would definitely look into this!

New York
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

I belive the royal service is closed down at the gran melia during november .you must call them first to avoid being ripped off .I think they shut down tower 5 for the winter since it is slow.I was told this when I was staying there in august by the front desk

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

ditto on the Hilton....

Orange County...
Level Contributor
7,959 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommended hotel Dec 2-9, but NOT All Inc?

Hilton, Marriott Casa Magna or JW Marriott -- check on construction though at the Marriotts. Also LeMeridien is very pretty. If you can do club level at the JW or Hilton, those are really nice...

IMHO, the Omni and Hyatt are a step down from the ones I mentioned above.