We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather????

London
1 post
Save Topic
Weather????

Has anyone just got back or been to Cancun in December?? Because the weather looks shocking and is forcast for rain every day next week!!!! Anyone know if I should expect long all day showers or just short sharp bursts?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Chico, CA
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather????

From my past experience going their 2x over the last 3 years in December, the showers are usually short and sometimes not enough falls to move from your pool chair. I too have been watching the weather since we are leaving next week for Cancun as well.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather????

I don't want to worry anyone coming soon too much with this info because the weather has been odd lately. It's unusual for December but lately when it rains it tends to rain on and off all day, like yesterday. So let's hope this pattern ends. At this moment as I'm writing this it's a gorgeous day. Warm and sunny with a few scattered clouds.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather????

Wow. I told you the weather is odd lately. I wrote that 8 minutes ago. Now there is one big, grey cloud over my house and it's pouring rain. This looks like one that will be just a short burst.

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather????

Now it's sunny again. :-) OK... enough of the minute-by-minute updates. haha.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather????

Agree , CG. When you wrote the first post it was raining in Cozumel. Still cloudy here although some periods of sun.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather????

Been wondering the same thing.

We’ve gone in Dec before (first week); during 8 days, it rained (sorry, drizzled, for .5 hour), once.

Now it’s been rainy and chilly – for a few weeks from what I gather.

The weather forecast on weather.com looks awful – but the one on accuweather looks great, so I’ll go with that one!

Looking at historical averages, there is only 6 rainy days in December altogether??? I don’t get it.

However, since it’s been raining almost all week, I assume that the said 6 rainy days are over (better be… arg).

I guess we'll just find out when we'll get to Cancun this Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
6,636 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather????

I just got back two hours ago. We went on Saturday, arrived an hour late because our plane had to be de-iced in St. Louis, but after that smooth sailing. Just before landing in CUN, pilot came on and said it was sunny and 86 degrees, yippee! That lasted about 3 hours and then it got cloudier and cloudier and then it rained off and on for the rest of that day. Every single day was about the same, though Monday it rained enough to partially flood streets in the HZ and yesterday, as Gringa said, off and on all day until about 10 PM. Today looked just beautiful when we left hotel, but the time we left Cancun it was all overcast. Plus on all those rainy days except for Saturday it was chilly in my opinion, especially yesterday. I am kind of sorry I spent all that money to go, now. I don't even have a pink nose much less any tan. Everyone there says the weather has not been like a normal December.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
466 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather????

Two, I am so sorry...

Yes, it doesn’t sound like it was worth the trip.

I hope you found some fun indoor activities for your stay (not that any of us are going so we can be stuck indoors).

If I want to be rained in December, I’d go to Florida… how crappy does that sound. I better pack an umbrella.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather????

I am going to try to think positive! Sun and warmth!

I hope it is sunny but a rainy day in Cancun is probably better than a winter day here in Delaware.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Lancaster, CA
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather????

Noooooooo! My wife and I will be in Cancun for the first time Dec 11-16. I have been going nuts lately with last minute preparations and have been having a sinking feeling that something was going to go wrong. Now I see this post and look at several weather sites. Rain every day!!!

We've spent quite a bit of money on this vacation (our first in a long while), and I was so excited. I'm really trying not to, but now I'm feeling depressed instead of excited about our vacation. It seems like it will not be anything like I imagined and, for the most part, ruined.

Someone PLEASE tell me that I'm crazy and that Cancun is like Hawai'i. If the forcast says showers every day, they only last a few minutes and the rest of the day is actually sunny. Ok, someone please give me some hope.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico