We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

This is my first trip to Cancun and I need advice for renting a car.

My trip is basically...

Cancun/Chichen itza (3days)

Playa de Carmen/Tulum (4 days

Cancun (3 days)

I will need a car to go to chichen itza and then travel down to playa de carmen to stay at new hotel. I will then take a day trip to Tulum. Then I will have to go back to Cancun. I will need a rent a car to do these side trips as well and go between the 3 hotels.

So, my questions are

1) Where is the best place to rent the car?

2) Is it worth booking the rentacar at the hotel?

3) is it better to rent the car instead of a hotel shuttle xfer?

4) should I rent the car when I get there or reserve online?

thanks in advance

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

First off you are perhaps renting too long. Maybe one day for C. Itza but you can get a transfer from your airport to your Cancun hotel then from your Cancun hotel to PDC then back to the airport easily enough.

You can also take a bus or collectivo from PDC to Tulum but I would suggest that you look into Coba (rented car makes sense) plus cenote plus Tulum for one day.

Too many variables in the logistics and when you are making trips to provide an optimal answer in my mind.

san diego
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

copilot,

Thanks for your response. It sounds like you are recommending the following actions. correct?

1) get a hotel xfer from airport to my cancun hotel

2) Rent a car for the day for Chichen Itza from my hotel

3) I then need to get to my next hotel in PDC. what do you reccomend?

4) Rent a car for Tulum. I don't like tours.

5) i then need to get back to Cancun to my third hotel. What do you recommend?

I don't like buses or tours for long trips and I would l like to minimize my car rental. My total trip is 10days. I leave this sunday.

thanks

Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

Be VERY CAREFUL-the Police love vactioners, American ones at that. They will pull you over for the least little thing and be assured it will not be a simple warning, it will be a substantial ticket.

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

How about a taxi or private car rental? Especially for your Cancun and Playa trips - probably about the same price as a car rental and certainly a lot less hassle. I'm sure your concierge could probably hook you up with a private car for your trips - to Playa from cancun or vice versa is probably going to cost you $50-75. Chichen Itza would probably be pretty pricey to have a private driver to/from.

san diego
Level Contributor
439 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

Thanks for everybodys suggestions. it sounds like the best way to do this is get down there and see what they have. I was reading some of the other posts and they say it's $50 per person from the airport to the cancun hotel. That seems incredibly expensive. Is that true? Any other suggestions?

Iowa
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

No, it's a $9 taxi PP from the airport to Cancun if you take the shared van option or it's $40 for a private car that can take up to 10? people.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

You can arrange custom plans for transportation through companies such as USA Transfer, (a very good one). They charge much less for the airport transfers than you mentioned. We recently paid only $65.00 for six people round trip, airport to hotel and back. They will work with you on your needs. You can contact them through their website

entertainment-plus.net

8. Re: First Trip to Cancun/Playa. Need advic ewith transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 18:17