We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

Which hotel would be the best choice?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

Depends on what you are looking for? With kids, to party, or to just relax in the sun? I just got back this week from the Ritz, and I can only give advice on the Ritz and the JW. Between those 2, definetly the Ritz for the beach, the JW has a narrow crowded beach in front of it. The only thing is that the Ritz has a lot of kids (but could depend on when you go, we were there over New Year's)

The Ritz is beautiful, and complete, they are still working on the JW. I heard some good things from a few people staying at the Hilton, but they were there to golf.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

We just stayed at the Hilton and Le Meridien in December. Both resorts are excellent but again, like the above poster stated, it depends on what you are looking for.

Without a doubt we would stay at both resorts again in the future. Here are the major differences:

Hilton-has typical Hilton rooms, nothing special as far as decor and design, but they were clean with wide screen TV and double sinks in the bathroom. We felt that the room lacked in dresser space for storing clothes and there was only one end table between double beds. The grounds were spectacular, large, with several pools and man made water features/rivers. The restaurant Mitachi is a gourmet, beachside restaurant that should be visited whether staying at this resort or not. All in all the property is very spread out, leaving much room to find quiet zones. The pool bar is a nice touch and the crowd was not rowdy at all. Finally, the beach and pool areas were very clean.

Le Meridien-a refined "Boutique" style resort with much attention paid to room design and decor. Meticulous attention also given to common areas in and througout the common areas of the resort and surrounding property. The beach here and pool areas are kept very clean as well, however the property is much smaller than the Hilton. This adds to the charm of this resort and makes it stand out from the rest of the properties in the Hotel Zone. The only drawback that may not agree with some is that there is construction happening to the south of this resort, next door. We still used our balcony and were not bothered by the noise however we are from New York City.

Here is something to keep in mind as well, J.W. Marriott has had a major problem with their beachfront. Much of the sand has washed away. Ritz Carlton has a beautiful beach and the property is fantastic as well. We visited both of these other resorts while we were in the area last month. I would have to say that the only way you could go wrong at this time is if you stay at the J.W. Marriott and love the beach.

Have fun planning your trip,

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN Travel Survey Guide Book

Van Nuys, CA
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

Thank you for your suggestions, we are going to relax in the sun. We do not care for AI or entertainment all day long. We love the beach and pools. We have 2 teens who are well behaved. We don't really want to be near any construction noise. We like a peaceful atmosphere, nice rooms, great restaurants and friendly staff.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

I hate to hear that about the beach at the JW. We stayed there before Wilma and loved it.

canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

We just returned from the Hilton 2 days ago and found it to be outstanding in all aspects. Fabulous swimming areas and beach front. Excellent rooms and staff and restaurants. It had it all!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

My first trip to Cancun is next month, so I obviously can't give you an opinion about where to stay, however a couple of days ago I was watching the travel channel and they had their "10 top Mexico Beaches" show on. They rated Le Meridian # 2 out of any party of Mexico! The whole property looked amazing and they said they ranked the spa as one of the top 5 in the world. If I had the money to do so, I'd definately stay there!

Washington State
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

My first trip to Cancun is next month, so I obviously can't give you an opinion about where to stay, however a couple of days ago I was watching the travel channel and they had their "10 top Mexico Beaches" show on. They rated Le Meridian # 2 out of any part of Mexico! The whole property looked amazing and they said they ranked the spa as one of the top 5 in the world. If I had the money to do so, I'd definately stay there!

Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

I also saw that Travel Channel special a couple of years ago and stayed at the LeMer in 2005, and also at the Hilton in 2006. I would definately pick the Hilton to return to. I found the staff at LeMer to be stuffy and borderline rude, while the Hilton staff was total opposite. Genuinely friendly and very anxious to please. Have never experienced such excellent service from such teriffic people at all levels, from management to the cleaning staff. Grounds at Hilton were beautiful and clean, beach great, lots of pools of different depths. Good luck to you

st paul
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

Just got back from Le Meridien. It was nice - however, we got a GREAT deal on the rooms & also we were on the non-construction side of the hotel. I was looking at the ritz & I just couldn't spend the extra $1000 for 4 ights.... I would like to try the ritz at some point....

Le Meriden was nice, VERY clean, excellent lunch by the ocean, good staff, good location, great workout room (smaller, but empty) I didn't spa this time - but i've spa'd there before. & its great too.

Its a quieter hotel - I like the fact that it doesn't have 5000 rooms! You aren't going to find a party at Le Meridien - but that's what the rest of Cancun is for.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Le Meridian, Ritz, JW or Hilton

eric and the others gave you excellent advice. You can't go wrong with any of those but the JW right now (and I used to be a HUGE JW fan). The LeMeridien is definitely a little more upscale than the Hilton, though the kids might meet more their own age at the Hilton.

And if money's no object, the Ritz is the place!