We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

i am looking for a nice and well maintained All Inclusive for myself, my husband , our 1 yr old and my parents. We would like to be able to enjoy the beach with not too many waves or a steep drop. where would you recommend?

i'm not familiar with riviera maya but i guess it consists of diff areas..puerto morelos, playa del carmen, akumal, etc...which would you recommend and which resort?

thanks so much for all your help

mina

1. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2016, 19:11
woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

we would be traveling end of june out of newark,nj and would like to stay under $1200 per person for air and hotel. hope this helps

thanks

mina

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

Hi Mina!!!

I would recommend that you vacation in the Mayan Riviera not Cancun. They are two totally diferent vacations. The Cancun Hotel Zone is very fast paced, very concrete and would offer more of a Hotel type vacation. The Riviera offers a more resort type vacation. And the best part of the Riviera is that you are only 30 minutes from Cancun if you decide you want to go in for the day. You are also a ferry ride away from Cozumel and a short cab ride away from Puerto Morelos and Playa Del Carmen.

The resorts that I would recommend are The Riu Yucatan, The Riu Playacar and and The Iberostar Tucan. They are all located in the resort area of Playacar and are situated on the best stretch of beach in that area. Another plus you have is that you will be travelling in Low season which means you will get the 5 star resorts for an amazing price!!! We travel every June and have never paid over $1000 pp. Here is the link to check out the RIU"s

www.riu.com

Here is the link to check out the Iberostar

iberostar.com/EN/…Iberostar-Tucan_3_70.html

You could also check out these sites it will give you alot of info regarding the Mayan Area.

cancunmap.com/assist/playa_hotel_locator.html

http://www.cancun.com/Riviera_Maya/

Hope you have a great trip.....................................LD

Beverly Shores...
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

Dear mina576:

Under normal conditions I would have to say that picking the Cancun Hotel Zone vs. Playa del Carmen would really depend on what the individuals really like, i.e., Miami or the Keys. Also, do the people like to go out and party all night or just have dinner, drinks and crash for the next day on the beach.

In your case you will have a one year old (by then maybe older). Also, having your parents along. If you go to Cancun, your mother, etc. could Baby Sit and you could go out at night, but is that what you want to do? Playa del Carmen is a series of low rise hotels/resorts, which I think are not over 3 floors high. Also the beach is very wide, but the waves are at time large for a small child.

We stayed at the now Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach Resort (part of the Gala resorts) in Playa del Carmen. We had no kids, but they have a children's pool, that starts at some 2" and goes down to 6" and deeper. We saw so many little guys in the water at the pool that it was amazing. All having fun in the pool. Also, an Adults Only pool. The beach is VERY large, but remember the waves. The best thing I can say is that this place is very children friendly and it shows. The food selections, at the buffet, remind me of a large Las Vegas resort. Service is top notch. For your needs you would have the best of both worlds, in terms of child, parents, rooms, food, pool, beach, etc.

Now, for a CALM beach in Cancun, we stayed at Dreams Cancun 2X and loved it. There were children, but the Kids Club only takes them at 4 years old. But, beach is great for a small child, as is the food, service, facilities, etc. And it is a 5 minute walk to the clubs at night, etc.

For what you want to pay, I am sure that your TA can find you a resort, especially in June. Go and enjoy and reflect on what I tried to explain regarding both places. We loved both.

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

I'm curious about one of the posters comment.."30 minutes from Cancun to Playa del Carmen." I've been reading that the time from the Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen is a minimum one hour to one and a half hour trip, which is the sole reason we decided to stay in Cancun for our 4 day trip; can't see spending that much time in a bus/cab/whatever for that amount of stay time.

We're booked in Cancun at a nice place. BUT am still being swayed by Playa Del Carmen's "charm" vs a Miami-esque atmosphere, if "charm" is the correct descriptive word. That and my son stayed there recently and liked it very much, including the small town itself.

Never been to either, have been to Puerto Vallarta. Anyone, opinions. While you're at it..if you've stayed in Playa D.C., where did you stay. And why do so many people LOVE the Riu Tequila when it isn't even on the beach there? It must be very good otherwise.

Thanks.

mahwah nj
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

I always considered the Riveria Maya from the Moon Palace (which is very nice, and only about 20 minutes from Cancun) to Tulum (Stayed at the Adventura Palace and loved it, about an hour or so from Cancun). For the most part you do not go to the RM for the beaches as they do not compare to Cancun but the resort atmosphere and the good food and great pools are what you get. You can go into Playa del Carmen for any shopping or partying (Blue Parott is a great bar) but you will most likely find you will stay on the resort most of the time as there is so much to do there, and only leave to do a tour or two.

As for the RIU, I stayed at the Riu Palace and Riu Cancun in Cancun and liked them, not sure about the RM Riu's.

PS been to Cancun/ RM 25 times in 15 years, and I love both places.

Mina576...go to Apple Vacations.com, they have the best deals out of Newark around, I have been using them for years

Cancun, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

snookowl is correct - it's about an hour to Playa del Carmen, 45 minutes if you're lucky. Places south of Playa like Akumal will take even longer, with some popular destinations such as Tulum about 2 hours away. Puerto Morelos is about 30 minutes away. As far as the hotel zone vs. riviera maya question, you've received good advice so far on the differences between the two and it will depend on what you and your family are looking for on this vacation.

Ontario
Level Contributor
782 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

It is not a five star..but the Akumal Beach Resort is small and has a wonderful beach with no surf. I was there recently with both children and grand parents. It was great for young and old as it was a short walk to everything, bars, food, and beach. It is clean and the food is not gourmet but good and plenty. It is an excellent value and the bonus is that is has some of the best snorkelling in the area just off the shore of the resort. Another attraction is there is a charming little town to visit and many wonderful resturaunts to visit if you grow tired of the resort food. The price you pay is so reasonable you can well afford some very nice meals at the Lol Ha or La Lunita to name just a few.

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

thank you so much to everyone for all your information. i think i'm going to lean towards riviera maya. seems more our speed...we are not partyers that go out all night. we like to enjoy a nice dinner, hang out for a ltitle while and then head off to bed...so riviera maya sounds like the place for us.

thanks again to everyone

mina

Alliston, Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cancun hotel zone or riviera maya...which do you recommend?

Hi Snookowl;

To clarify, my quote was; " And the best part of the Riviera is that you are only 30 minutes from Cancun if you decide you want to go in for the day. " I did not specify Playa Del Carmen. As Bigggmik said, I too consider the Start of " The Riviera " Where the Moon Palace is situated. I have had the oppotunity to visit many of the resots that are situated between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen and all of them were located within a 30 minute drive to Cancun's Hotel Zone. As CancunGringa said; it depends where your chosen resort is.

Cheers.....................................................LD