We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

I hope this question makes sense! We are trying to choose a resort and I am wondering about the beaches and ocean at the top of the seven vs. down the long stretch of beaches in the hotel zone down the side. I hear that the water is calmer at the top, but is there seaweed too? How nasty are the waves downt he side of the seven, can you play in them? Or get out beyond them and swim around? Which is better?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

There can be seaweed build up at the resorts, especially at the northern side of Cancun's Hotel Zone. We may prefer the beaches and ocean conditions on the Caribbean side, however the waves have been very strong on this side as of late. This is due to the conditions caused by the El Niño effect. We recommend that if you plan to travel with young children who like to swim in the ocean, that you stay at a resort on the northern shore. You can always elect to visit Playa Delfines, the public beach on the Caribbean side that is very beautiful, and not too far away.

If you would like resort suggestions, please be specific about if you would prefer to stay at an All Inclusive (food and beverages included) or European Plan (room only).

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
640 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

I personally like the beaches on the long side of the 7! To me, they are prettier, bluer, and more fun to play in!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

Alternative view: I'm a water wuss. I have been going to Cancun for 17 years and had never been in the water (except the pools) until we stayed on the upper arm of the 7 at Club International. I absolutely LOVE it. I don't mind a little seaweed when I can see the little fishies swimming around in the water. I can see where I'm standing. I can wander around in the water without getting knocked down. So, for those other water wussies out there....the upper arm of the 7 is the place for you.

Cheryl

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

IMHO

The quality of the sand on the long end of the seven is no where near as good as the top of the seven. The new sand that was dredged and piped on to the long side of the seven beaches after Wilma is more like coarse crushed shells. This sand was dredged off sand bars out at sea and cannot compare with the soft powdery white sand on top end of the seven. This is what we found while walking the beaches in may of last year.

Daz

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

ttt

6. Re: Are the beaches better at the top of the 7 or down the side?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 14:20