We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US $'s to Peso's

Angola, Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
US $'s to Peso's

Trying to decide if I should get Peso's prior to leaving for Cancun or wating until we get there? If we wait until we get there, where (except for the hotel that will rip us off) is the best palace to exchange?

Also, how many much should I exchange? We are staying at an AI, and if we pre-book our excursions, other than bus fare/taxi/some shopping (is the Market still there, it's been years since I have been there) what esle would we need Peso's for.

If we go outside the hotel to eat, it will be either upscale (which should take plastic) or something local/authentic (any suggestions?) which may or may not take plastic.

Plan on taking plenty of $1 bills for tipping bartenders, $5's and $10's for Airport transportation (what is acceptable for 2 people?).

We are planning 2 excursions, Isla Mujeres and one other. If you had one to take, which one and why?

One more question, which bar and which night if you only went to one. Last time there, we hit them all (I'm older now) on different nights it seemed that certain bars were better on certain nights.

Thanks all!

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
447 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US $'s to Peso's

We never exchange for pesos, guess its a matter of preference. Locals seems quite happy to take USD. We did tip the person driving the golf cart between the lobby and the rooms, we were at Moon Palace last time and its a bit of a walk, so that was someone else to tip. We went to Isla Mujeres, interesting place, we sat on a bench for along time by the ferry and watched the people-whole families, 4 or 5 all riding one moped, children hanging onto gas tanks, and of course the family sedan is a golf cart. Took a tour around the island by boat which was nice and allowed us to get out and swim, otherwise, we were happy visiting the malls, the fleamarket and hanging out by the pool bar. We like Senor Frogs and Coco Bongo.

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Coco Bongo Cancun
Coco Bongo Cancun
15,530 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US $'s to Peso's

The truth is you don't have to change over you money if you do not wish to. Most establishments in the Hotel Zone accept US currency and credit cards. Even if you choose to exchange your money at your resort, chances are you will not be ripped off. Most of the resorts realize that in order to get repeat business, they better not fleece their guests.

As far as pre booking tours, you should be able to find better prices from outside local outfits than what is offered at your resort. The best part to getting your tours from an outside source is that more often than not they offer liberal cancelation and rescheduling policies. This can come in very handy if you decide that someone in your party is not able to take a tour the next day, reschedule without losing your money, a brilliant concept!

On the topic of tours, we recommend that you do not book a tour to Isla Mujeres. This is an easy day trip that you can plan out for yourselves and get more out of the experience. The only tour we recommend that does actually take you to Isla is the Dolphin Discovery dolphin swim.

If you can only go to one club while you are in Cancun, then Coco Bongo is the place. I don't want to spoil the fun by giving an in depth description but I will tell you that the presentations they put on start at about 10:30 p.m. every night. If you are looking for more of a bar, we suggest Dady Rock from Tuesday - Saturday nights (live band is off on Sun. & Mon.) is a great place to go.

If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.

Have fun planning your trip,

212eric V.P.

PEOPLE'S CHOICE GUIDE CANCUN

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dolphin Discovery
Dolphin Discovery
3,773 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Coco Bongo Cancun
Coco Bongo Cancun
15,530 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Level Contributor
5,555 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US $'s to Peso's

I recommend just bringing a small amount of cash and using the ATM's. You get the most current rate and don't have to carry wads of cash or worry about exchange. I always say use pesos, it is the national currency.

Deciding on another tour really depends on what you are looking for. Adventurous types would enjoy the Selvatura zip lines, the eco parks Xelha and Xcaret offer a variety of activities including swimming with the dolphins and snorkelling, or you could visit one of the great Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza.

If you are going to go out one night, most folks will tell you to hit Coco Bongo. I would say Dady Rock, more intimate but still rockin', all their nights are different just check their schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Coco Bongo Cancun
Coco Bongo Cancun
15,530 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Angola, Indiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: US $'s to Peso's

1212eric and cancuncanuck,

Appreciate all the info the 2 of you provide us less experienced travelers!

I have book marked several of the websites (entertainmentplus,etc) that you have been recommending on a regular basis, and will be using them to book airport transfers, and a couple tours ( 1 yet to be determined). Going to Isla Mujeres for sure.

Again, thanks for all the help/insight you give to all of us!!!

Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
5. Re: US $'s to Peso's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:18