We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

I will be in Cancun with my girlfriend staying in Fiesta Americana Condesa. We want to see Chichen Itza with a private tour/small group. We aim to go 3/9 or 3/10. We heard about Carlos, but it seems like he is way too popular and booked up. Anyone know of other private guides like Carlos? We are fun, adventurous, in our 30's and experience life to its fullest. Another one or two couples interested to possibly join us in a private tour would be wonderful. We're also both foodies and oenophiles.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

Can't help you with the private tour, but you should definitely include La Dolce Vita restaurant in your dining adventures! Excellent food, fine service and great wines! Cheers!

raleigh, nc
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

I am looking forward to any responses to this as we will be going the end of the month and e-mails to Carlos have not been returned - others optoions are needed.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
748 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

You can rent a car in Merida. If you leave first thing in the morning, you will get to CI before all the tours from Cancun and the cruise boats. CI starts to fill up around 11:00 AM and empties out between 3 and 4. There are several rental car agencies in your hotel. It is an easy two hour drive to CI on four lane highways (except for last 10 km after you exit the tollroad). Once you get to CI you can hire an English speaking guide for a personal tour. Afterwards you can eat a late lunch in Piste or the restaurant in the visitor center. You will be home before dark. Or you can stay for the light show and drive home (carefully) at night.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
748 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

You can rent a car in Merida. If you leave first thing in the morning, you will get to CI before all the tours from Cancun and the cruise boats. CI starts to fill up around 11:00 AM and empties out between 3 and 4. There are several rental car agencies in your hotel. It is an easy two hour drive to CI on four lane highways (except for last 10 km after you exit the tollroad). Once you get to CI you can hire an English speaking guide for a personal tour. Afterwards you can eat a late lunch in Piste or the restaurant in the visitor center. You will be home before dark. Or you can stay for the light show and drive home (carefully) at night.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
748 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

Sorry. I just reread my post. Bill Lawson's reply threw me off. I thought you were coming from Merida. My advice still holds, but it is a slightly longer drive from Cancun. I cannot be sure about rental cars. Easyway is a company we use frequently. They deliver cars to hotels in Cancun and drop you off at the end of the rental.

Portland
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

We are also looking for a private gulde to share with another couple. We would want to go 3/21-3-24. I found one other company recommended on Trip Advisor entertainment-plus.net/… but they are more expensive and do not have as loyal a following.

Please contact me if you are looking to share a private tour to CI during these dates.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

Thanks for the input from TA members. I have been in contact with a colleague of Carlos, Gerardo. We are planning on either tues (mar 9) or wed (mar 10). It comes to $300 USD for the entire day. Does not include admission to the sites nor hire of tour guide. I believe CI admission is like $10 per and guides are around $45. Other stops (our wish) admission is quite nominal. We plan to depart as early as pssible to beat the crowds. So far it is two of us and if any other couples are interested in sharing the cost, please let me know.

massachusetts
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

We are mom and son and we would be interested in sharing a private van tour but we can only do it on March 21as we leave March 22. We need to share with nonsmokers only.

massachusetts
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

Where did you get this info on Carlos' coworker? I would like to contact him. We would share with you but won't be in Cancun until March 15.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions and recuiting for a private tour of CI

I got this from Carlos himself who emailed his info.