We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

Midway, Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

I'll be in Playa Del Carmen in September 2010 for a friend's wedding and want to plan a day trip to Ci but I have a 2 year old. Any suggestions on how to best go about this? Is it safe? Anyone else attempted to take a younger one to the cenotes?

Cancun
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

You could get away with using a stroller, but baby probably won't be a happy camper with so much traveling time

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

You might have to consider that baby will be bored out of his/her skull. That said, cenotes are refreshing cool places when it is warm, but the ruins themselves would be a pain with a baby. Baby gets nothing out of it really, and you will cut short your visit because of baby. The idea of pushing a stroller around Chichen is not that great because of the terrain - you would need a four wheel drive stroller with giant wheels; all those rocks would keep the baby rockin and rollin the entire time.

Then again; you might do this with one of those backpacks where baby can actually sleep during your stroll about the ruins; depends on your kind of mothering, but my sister took her 2 year old everywhere on her back and it was fine.

Midway, Utah
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

We have a backpack he likes with a shade cover that my husband can carry him in. He's usually pretty happy if he can just run around and explore but I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration! Thanks so much!

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

If you are interested in seeing Chichen Itza, by all means go. A 2-year-old won't get anything out of it, but the baby is not going to especially enjoy any place unless it's the beach, perhaps. However, I honestly don't see why you can't use a stroller... the land is pancake flat, like a collection of enormous football fields. Though there may be some stones on the walking paths, I think you'd be ok. Visitors are no longer allowed to climb the ruins, so you will not be climbing rocks.

If you can possibly do it, try to spend the night in Chichen. Two options are excellent -- the Hacienda Chichen (my favorite) and Mayaland (busier with tour buses, etc. but right at the back entrance to Chichen Itza). Hacienda Chichen is about a 10-minute walk -- also flat and easy to do.

There's a wonderful pool at Hacienda Chichen, excellent food, and beautiful grounds for walking, letting the little one get some exercise, etc. Have a look at my website for stories/pics of Mexico...the most recent post is on Chichen Itza and earlier ones include links to Hacienda Chichen. Don't miss a chance to see the ruins if you're in the vicinity, but if you spend the night, you have the awesome advantage to see the ruins in early morning when there are very few people around...and lots of running room for little one if you choose.

We did not have any safety issues, but do take the toll road from Cancun.

http://katiepickardfawcett.wordpress.com/

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

The land is pancake flat? This is Chichen Itza, right?

Chichen Itza is a series of large platforms that were originally joined by concourses called "sacbeob," Maya for "white road." Today these platforms are joined by paths. While the platforms are generally flat, the paths between them are not. And for some of the more out of the way areas, as Mr. Lawson suggests, you would need a 4-wheel drive stroller.

I just reviewed some video I shot last year at Chichen and in one clip there is a couple with a stroller struggling to push it on the path between the visitor center and the Gran Platform where the big pyramid, El Castillo, rests.

Take the child-carrying backpack. And bring a lot of water!

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Taking my 2 Year Old to CI ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 04:17