We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

boston
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

I have been hearing rumors of a large concert at Chichen Itza - does anyone know about this & if so, how would one get tickets ? Also, we are arriving in Cancun the afternoon of Dec 21 -( have a rental car & a hotel for the night of the 21st in Valladolid )- if we arrive in the evening at the site will it be too crowded to get in? Or should we just opt to get there on the 22nd? Thanks for any information.

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,809 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Viator Exclusive: Early Access to...
1,260 Reviews
from US$54.00*
Free Cancellation
Day Trip to Chichen Itza with Cenote...
161 Reviews
from US$50.00*
Free Cancellation
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
1,439 Reviews
from US$64.50*
Free Cancellation
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,901 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

mayaworld.cc/mayaworld__events-yucatan-2012.…

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,901 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

You may be a day late

freethoughtnation.com/contributing-writers/6…

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

Rumors are what they are so far. No official word of any event at Chichen that I have heard. I checked Cultur (the state agency that oversees Chichen and manages their concerts) and nary a peep about Dec. 21.

There will be a lot of people there on Dec. 21, so I recommend you plan to arrive on that day. Good luck!

Mexico City, Mexico
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

Virtual trip to Chichen-Itza 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZh2nwdRBY

Peace.

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,809 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

The only confirmed concert I have heard about is Synthesis 2012, which will be a short distance from Chichen Itza. No headliners announced. On the 21st I have heard that several archaeologists will give presentations, there will be performers, and the Elders will come down from the mountains to speak. There is a rumor, albeit a long shot, that Cirque du Soleil wil have a free performance and Carlos Santana will be the master of ceremonies. However, the rumor states that Cirque du Soleil will perform on the pyramid, but climbing the pyramids is no longer allowed, so I doubt that will happen. Neither Cirque du Soleil or Carlos Santana have confirmed anything. I am planning on being at Chichen Itza in the morning of the 21st, but since they close at 5:00 and the light and sound show is out of order until January then I figured it was safe to make other plans for the rest of the day. So I'll be climbing the pyramids at Ek Balam.

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,809 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

Great summary by Uncopyrighted. I would add that at least one Maya h'men (shaman) has requested permission to perform a ceremony at Chichen Itza and been turned down by INAH, the federal agency in charge of the archaeological zone.

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,809 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

Are there huge crowds today at Chichen Itza?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

Yes, there were huge crowds! I hate the vendors on the site! Going to the cenote is like walking the gaunlet....dozens and dozens of vendors, all selling the same thing. Some even smoking dope right there at their table. I hated this part. I think there was a concert that night, but we were there by 8 and left at 12:30 so missed it. I heard there were 50K tickets to sell and it looked like they were well on their way to selling out! Thousands of people were there when we were, and the busses were still coming along w/ the tour vans. It was quite a day!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

No concerts, apparently, but there were a lot of people there. And there were some people who managed to get in early in the morning to conduct a ceremony or two. Here's some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psPH5r9VkI

10. Re: Chichen Itza Dec 21, 2012 concert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:17