We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

The highlight of our Yucatan vacation would be to see the ruins in Chichen Itza. But, I am concerned about the heat and humidity there as I get sick in extreme heat/humidity.

How hot and humid is it in Chichen Itza in first wk in April? We will be staying in Nizuc Resort ( nr Cancun and Riviera Maya). How tough is the tour bus trip to/from this resort and what can I expect once I arrive at the ruins? Are there any places at Chichen Itza where one can sit/cool off if I do feel uncomfortable?

Any suggestions/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

April and May are the hottest months on the Yucatan Peninsula. Humidity, relatively speaking, is not bad.

Chichen is fairly open and exposed (the Maya built giant, interlocking platforms to support the monuments). There are some shade trees, but once you are inside the archaeological zone, there are no places with air conditioning.

Good luck with your trip.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

My best advice is to get there early. Temps will be lower and the irritating vendors won't have set up their 'stalls'. By midday it will be 100+°F.

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Thanks for both your replies! Helpful. I am so disappointed w/the health issues w/heat. Dont want to risk getting very sick and ruining my ( & everyone's vacation)

Would going to see Tulum ( while far less impressive) be 'cooler' and less oppressive in early April?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Little shade at Tulum as well, but it's a much smaller site and cooled a few degrees by sea breezes.\

New York
Level Contributor
611 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Thanks- about TUlum.

Any thoughts about Coba? From Nizuc Resort.............how's the trip to Coba ( shorter than Chichen Itza)? And is Coba going to be as hot humid and oppressive in early April?

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Weather in the Yucatan in April and May is hot and dry. These are the hottest months of the year, as my esteemed colleague EJ pointed out above. All the sites will be very hot and the suggestion to arrive early from Londoner is valid and important. Rainy season starts in May/June and that is when the humidity starts, along with a small drop in temperature, but not much.

You would be better served rescheduling if you can for the period November - February.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

I am skeptical that early April is hotter than July/August.

One way around any heat issue is to overnight in Valladolid or a hotel adjacent to C.Itza.

Start your tour when it opens (800 AM?) and you avoid the hottest part of the day and most of the crowds/vendors.

If you skip C. Itza, Coba is a good option. Lots more shade and you can ride bikes or be driven on a bike-like contraption. Travel time to Coba may not be much less than to C.Itza from Cancun.

Consider going to the Ik Kil cenote if you go to C. Itza or any of the many cenotes to/from Coba.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Personally I would not go on a bus that holds dozens of people. Look into a tour group that uses vans or a taxi driver (sedan or van depending upon number of people).

You could also drive if someone is ok with that idea. If you want that option, consider getting the Mayan Adventure map/guide from cancunmap.com

Here is one small group tour. Others exist so do some research

entertainment-plus.net/affiliates/tour.asp…

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

Another consideration is heat mitigation. The proper clothing and hat can be very helpful.

Plus take a small spray bottle and mist yourself all over at times with cool water. If you have a fridge in your room, freeze some bottles of water. Take a backpack. Wrap one or more of the bottles with aluminum foil.

Maybe carry an umbrella to keep most of the direct sunlight off of you.

I believe that being there at 800 AM is a major factor in you being able to see C. Itza comfortably.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Early April Weather in Chichen Itza

From CO_pilot: "I am skeptical that early April is hotter than July/August."

Be skeptical no more:

worldweatheronline.com/Yucatan-weather-avera…

http://www.merida.climatemps.com/

Verdad!

Edited: 17 October 2013, 20:05