We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

anyone have a recommendation on how to get from the port at Progreso to Chichen itza? we have several in our party so i don't want to pay the $70/person fee.

i prefer to rent my own car. are there tolls on the road, do they take USD on these tolls, is driving safe for tourists?

thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

The road from Progresso to Merida looked like any major highway in the US that had been recently paved. From Merida to Cancun there is a relatively new (1993) toll road - called the Cuota - with a clearly marked exit for Chichen Itza.

Or you can take the old/free road, that has speed bumps before, during and after every little town along the way. These are Maya communities, so may be of interest to pass by, but a lot of the Mayan houses are now cement.

IIRC the tolls are pretty high - you will be able to find it online somewhere.

When I went to Chichen Itza in 1992 this old road was the only option - since you're pressed for time, you might want to do the toll road.

You can also attempt to hire a private driver like Bill Lawson here. I forget what he charges, but probably a lot less than $70/person for several people.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 16 January 2014, 21:42
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,224 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

another idea… Uxmal is closer and it will be a lot less packed with visitors - especially on a cruise ship day.

Uxmal is only about an hour from Merida - Progresso is a half hour from Merida. Chichen Itza is probably 2.5 hours each way, at least.

If you have a car, you could visit Uxmal, a cenote, another smaller Pu'uc route ruin like Kabah, or maybe just visit the Chocolate Museum and have lunch after the ruin.

suitcaseready.com

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

thanks for the info. i wanted to go to Chichen b/c it's the biggest and most famous.

so i'm thinking renting a car for the 6 of us is a good option.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

Chichen is less than two hours away, 20 minutes further away than Uxmal from Progreso. It's also an easier drive and easier to find.

Rent a car. You'll have a blast.

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

what about the people on TripAdvisor who say they get harassed by the cops and taken by gas stations. is that true?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

Police in Yucatan state, where Progreso, Merida, and Chichen are, are pretty good. I'm only aware of very rare instances where police have demanded bribes, and according to news reports, those police were fired.

The filling stations are also fairly honest, but there are exceptions, so be on your guard. That said, how much are they really going to rip you off for? To drive to Chichen you'll fill up once, so they'll only have one shot at you.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,061 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

Agree with EJ. Police are rarely a problem in Yucatan state as they often are in the state of Quintana Roo where Cancun is located.

A car to fit 6 comfortably may be difficult. Be sure to understand what you are reserving.

The toll going to Chichen will cost you 86 pesos in both directions.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

Even though 86 pesos isn't much (about $6.50 US), I no longer take the Cuota to Chichen Itza from Merida/Progreso. I prefer taking the Libre which shoots straight into Chichen. I like the small villages along the way as it breaks up the monotony. Also, it takes you past the gas station in Piste if you need to get petrol.

9. Re: Carnival Cruise - Progreso to Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:19