We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

I would like to visit Chichen Itza, Ik Kil and Ek Balan in the same day by car, and I would like the best hour to each place. Do I go first to Chichen (8:00am), after to Ik Kil or the oposite ? Remembering that i like to take photos and heard that late afternoon light is bether at the ruins.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

CI is MUCH better early in the morning as you avoid the crowds and vendors. From there it seems to make sense to stop at Ik Kil and see Ek Balam mid/late afternoon as crowds here aren't an issue.

I assume you are going to have a car, is that so?

rio de janeiro
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

Thanks !! Do you live in Merida ? I would like to know where I can buy a Gopro hero 3+ camera in Cancun. Do you Know where and the price of this camera in Mexico ?

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

With regard to photography, most of the monuments at Chichen Itza are oriented along a north-south axis, so some face east and some face west. Morning light benefits some and afternoon light others. But if you are there from opening to 11 a.m. or so, you can capture most of the monuments.

Have a great trip!

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

Sorry, absolutely no idea about the camera. You could post on the TA Cancun forum or try yolisto.com for the Merida ex-pat community.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

It depends on your preferences. If you want pictures of Chichen Itza without tons of people, you have to go early -- as early as possible. Tour buses arrive from 10 a.m. on. I've been morning and afternoon and would much prefer the morning light with no people than the afternoon light with hundreds.

Ik Kil doesn't get really crowded until maybe noon. And then, it really doesn't matter if you're there to swim in the cenote. Pictures here? My morning pictures didn't have the best light, so I'm not sure.

Ek Balam can be last on the list for the day as there are definitely fewer crowds and more opportunities to get photos sans people.

6. Re: Best hour to Ik Kil, Chichen Itza and Ek Balan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:21