We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza Excursion

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Chichen Itza Excursion

My wife and I really really want to go to Chichen Itza while we are at port in Cozumel with Royal Caribbean. RC does not offer this as an excursion for our particular cruise so I am trying to figure out a way to get there on my own. Do we have enough time? Our cruise docks at 10 am and leaves port at 6.30pm Thanks for any advice!

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

You have enough time, if all your connections go well and nothing goes wrong. But it will. This is Mexico.

If Chichen is a place you really want to see, you'll have another opportunity. Come to Yucatan on your own next time. You'll have a blast.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

Hey thanks for the insight. Yes, I guess we will have to wait for next time.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

You might want to consider it if your cruise also comes to Progreso. But in that time frame, you can only do it with a private vehicle. What about renting a car?

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

I spend a fair amount of time living on Cozumel island and love visiting Chichen Itza.

It's a pain. Expect an ALL DAY trip, from sunup to after sundown, and that's if you can quickly and efficiently get yourself to the ferry, from there to a rental agency, then drive yourself to Chichen Itza before reversing the whole process.

In reality, I've never even attempted it in a single day. We go, spend the night at the Villas Arqueologicas or Mayaland, and go to the ruins the following day. Even getting up and heading to the ruins in the morning and setting out for Cozumel from there around noonish, we usually get back on the island around 7PM.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

You do not have enough time. Ar best you would make the 1100 AM ferry to Playa del Carmen (PDC) and the latest ferry from PDC is 500 PM. That means six hours and you need almost that much time just to get there and back. That assumes that your times listed are Cozumel times.

Tijuana, B.C.
Level Contributor
2 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

Sorry to hear you couldn't make it to Chichen Itza, I've been there in April 2014, we were staying in a resort in Playa Paraiso, near Playa del Carmen, we rented a car and took the free highway and it was very nice to see all the small towns, we arrived to Chichen Itza after 3 hours of driving and stood there for 3 hours but the weather was so hot, that we couldn't stay longer. After that we drove 30 miles to the town of Valladolid which I recommend you visit for a delicious meal and a refreshment, you can also buy great things at an affordable prices.

7. Re: Chichen Itza Excursion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2015, 05:15