We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
128 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

Hi,

We are a group of friends, speak Spanish fluently, and are going to be in Mexico for a week in November. The plan is to arrive, spend 3 nights at an AI in cancun, take the rental car to Valladolid and stay the night. I figure we will be on the road at noon, and there around 2pm. Check into a hotel and go visit Ek Balam and maybe try to swim in the cenote in town (anyone know the hours?). Next morning do Chichen Itza and hit some cenotes on our way to playa del Carmen where we will be renting an apartment for another 3 days. Is that too ambitious? Should we just check out Valladolid rather than do ek balam? Any suggestions would be welcome. Also, how much do guides cost at each?

We were in PDC last year and did Coba and cenotes and had a blast.

Thanks!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

I think that is a good plan. I would try to get on the road to Valladolid before noon so that you have more time to see Ek Balam and Valladolid.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

I'd leave Cancun earlier, as Nov. Moon suggests, because by the time you check into your hotel and drive to Ek Balam it'll be 3 or so. Not that you need a lot of time at that site as it's pretty compact, but if you hire a guide, it'll take an hour to 90 minutes. On my last trip in February we hired a guide and I believe it was either $60 or $70 US.

I've never swam in the cenote there, so I'm no help on that front.

I would definitely do Ek Balam. You'll be at Valladolid in the evening, and that is plenty of time to explore that town.

The rest sounds terrific. I would recommend driving to Playa via Tulum. You might want to make a few stops along the way.

Have a great trip!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,689 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

Also sounds good to me other than the departure time from Cancun. I would get an early start.

Edmonds, Washington
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

Stay at Las Hamacas. It's an excellent place to stay, great host and lovely rooms.

5. Re: Too ambitious? Cancun, ek balam, Valladolid, cenotes and CI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2015, 05:15