We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

New Zealand
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

My wife & I are planning to rent a car & to drive from Tulum to Chichen Itza where we intend to stay for 2 days.

Is anyone able to advise us whether the apparent shortcut from Tulum via Coba to Valladolid is quicker than taking the road up through Cancun & then via the toll road?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,783 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Florida
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

The new road from Tulum via Coba to Valladolid is quicker but less traveled, so check your rented car tires and engine prior to taking the drive, if you don't have a mobil phone and you get a flat tire, chances of getting help are drastically reduced compared to the regular more often drived Cancun toll highway to Chichen Itza.

Hope this tip helps.

Good luck

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Valladolid
Valladolid
Yucatan, Mexico
New Zealand
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

Many thanks for your comments. I was wary of the road as we hear a lot about the potholes.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

My family and I are going to do the same. However, I feel better about taking the bus. First class busses go directly to Chichen Itza from Tulum at 9:30 am and 2:30 pm every day (I believe). The cost is about $7 per person, but we won't have to worry about car trouble. Travel time is about 3 hours. You may want to consider this option as well. Suerte!!

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,783 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Los Angeles
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

Just wondering if anyone in this forum discussion had any feedback after completing their trips. Most posts here were made around Feb 07, so I'm wondering... how was it? Would love to know what you think is the best way to get to Chichen Itza from Tulum by car.

Would love to hear from anybody who did the trip by car recently too.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,783 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
442 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

Yes, we ended up going from Tulum to Chichen Itza by bus. It goes direct from Tulum to Chichen Itza via Coba and Valladonid. It was ok, but took about 5 hours or so, if I remember correctly. It is just a VERY small two lane highway, but it is paved the entire way. On coming traffic and semis were a little intimidating. Also there were one or two check points / toll booths. They were armed by guards and were stopping traffic, probably to check their documents. I'm sure they can pick out a rental car.

Taking the bus was safe but probably a little slower. I would have preferred to have our own car if I were to do it again. I wouldn't dare do it at night. This is just my opinion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

BURK

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Chichen Itza
Chichen Itza
21,783 Reviews
Chichen Itza, Mexico
6. Re: Driving from Tulum to Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 23:19