We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Hi! (sorry this is long, just trying to get all questions in)

Just booked a trip to Cozumel and have done some research, but still have questions. We are staying at Cozumel Palace March 7-11th.

First, here is our itinerary and then some questions. Any comments on itinerary or answers to questions much appreciated!

Wednesday, March 7th - Arrive late afternoon (3:30 PM arrival flight)

Thursday, March 8th - I am doing the resort scuba course because I am not certified (bf is) and then planning on joining up w/ Bf for the paradise reef dive. (Dive course/Paradise Reef 12:30-4:30 PM)

Friday, March 9th - Chankanaab plus swim and scuba with dolphins add on. (10:00 AM - 3:00 PM)

Saturday, March 10th - Hoping to do Tulum Express. (8:30 AM-???)

Sunday, March 11th - Open. Leave early afternoon. (3:20 PM flight)

That is what we have planned so far. Comments welcome.

Questions:

1) Has anyone done the resort scuba course at Cozumel palace? What was your experience? How is paradise reef? And my bf is more experienced, and he might want to do a another dive other than the baby dive with me, any recommendations that will fit within our itinerary above?

2) Tulum Express, what time does it get back to Cozumel Palace and can you get off at Playa del carma on the way back and go over to Playacar for the rest of day? Does anyone know if you can eat over at Playcar on the all-inclusive? They say on website that there are exchange privileges at other Palace properties but don't detail them?

3) Spa at Cozumel palace? They don't list the spa services at Cozumel palace on website, We get a $100 spa certificate with our package, but don't know what is available. There is no info on spa at Cozumel Palace on website. Does anyone have any info on spa there?

Thank you for any and all information. Can't wait to get out of the snow here!

Tanya

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,471 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Your bf should consider a one or two tank dive that goes to Palancar, Columbia or equivalent in the morning. He would be back in time to go to Paradise Reef.

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

08-06

I Did by DSD with SCUBA CARIBE when I stayed at the Playacar Palace. I believe they havea affilation with them. But you can book with anyone. Transpo and lunch was included. It took place in Cozumel. My experieced diver husband signed up for a 2 tank dive that day. He did his deep dive when I was being tutored and did my first dive from the beach. On the second dive we met up and dove Paradise Reef. I was AMAZING!!!!. I have snorkeled for many years and nothing compares. Im retruning in August to get my open water certification. You can also do some snorkeing from from the resort.

Not sure about the Tulum express, Id suggest going. Its beautiful witha great small beach between the ruins. If you want to go to the playacar or Playa del Carmen the ferry is about 10.00 each way and I think runs hourly. Dont buy round trip tickets, there are 2 ferry companies and they dont honor eachothers. You may end up waiting for your ferry when the other one if ready.

Spa treatments used to be listed on the website. If your getting the membership deal you may have a back massage, mani and pedi included. The smaller Palace resorts dont have the extensive treatments like the ASP does. Id suggest the marine scrub (you find out area that never needed to be itched so bad) them maybe a tub soak with emoliants etc and finish it off with a massage. You will be puddy in there hands

enjoy

Ohio
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

If you are staying at cozumel palace then you can go to playacar palace and use all of their ammenities, pool, food and drink, have fun!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Please don't support the dolphin programs. This topic has been discussed quite a bit recently, but some of the more relevant info has been deleted. I have a link to a video that shows where some of these animals come from, but it is too disturbing to post here. Do some research on your own. You may feel differently about these programs when you learn more.

Your itinerary looks reasonable. I can't give you too many details on your questions except to say that Paradise reef is not so utopian since they built a cruise ship pier on top of it.

http://www.american.edu/TED/cozumel.htm

Not the most current info, really, but it gives you an idea of what occurred there. I've never dove the site, but it may well be a good place for you to get started.

I will already have left Coz by then, but make sure to introduce yourself to Andres at the Chaza Travel desk. He's a good friend of mine, and he'll take good care of you.

-Tom

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Howdy Mam,

I think the Paradise reef is a lovelly reef for Discover scuba.-No nearby dropoffs into the abyss to worry about, and it has an abundance of critters to see-some good sized Parrot fish etc..

I was in Cozumel (Pre Wilma) in 2004 and then 2006. -I think you have made the right choice not doing it from shore.

Good luck

Ian

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

The Tulum Express is pretty much an all day affair. You can indeed go to Playacar Palace and do anything you wish. Spend as much time as possible diving or snorkeling.

I think that the snorkeling at Dzul-Ha is actually better than Chankanaab. (and they don't molest the dolphins....)

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Thanks everyone for the input.

Wasn't aware of the dolphin controversy. Unfortunately have already paid for it as part of our American Express vacation package. WIll have to see if we can maybe change it to another tour when get our travel information.

Tom - Does Chaza travel have a website?? I couldn't find one when I looked.

Also, it is my understanding that you can't actually book your "Free" tours until you get to the resort. Has anyone had any problems getting the Tulum tour booked? (we arrive Wednesday, and the tour is on Saturday).

Thanks again for any info.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Oh, one more question. I have read a couple places that you can get a box lunch when going to Tulum? Do they have a station at the breakfast buffet where you do this? Or how do you arrange it?

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Here's the closest I can come to a website...

palaceresorts.com/Transfers/TransferIndex.asp

This is for Cancun, but you can click on the highlighted word 'tours' and select Cozumel. Not sure how the tours are arranged, but be sure to ask for Andres, he'll give you the scoop. He works every day except Monday.

Maybe you could switch the dolphin dive to just a shore dive from Chankanaab, I'm not really sure. I hope you get the rest of the info you're looking for. Have fun!

-Tom

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cozumel Questions ... Staying at Cozumel Palace

Ive never book any tours in advance nor had troubles getting them when we wanted to go......