We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Topic
Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

There is always a lot of postings about tours and pay to enter beach clubs and the like. I would like to give some food for thought.

There are 17 miles of unbroken beach road on the East side of the island....I cannot understand why anyone would ever pay to go to ANY beach club, so they can be packed in with other people from their home country. On the West side there are many litte places to pull over and snorkel. There are no reefs left in the shallow water, but there are still a lot of fish. Why pay some guy to use a beach, that has nothing more to offer.

I cannot understand using any tour to travel around the island, when for the price of one passenger you can rent a car and see it on your own. The tours are only going to stop at places where they get kick backs and beautiful quiet stretches of beaches offer no kick backs.

I don't know why people drink at beach clubs, when for the price of 3 drinks you could buy a bottle of rum and some coke to mix it with or a case of beer, to throw in your rental car. It's ok to have a couple of drinks and drive around, as long as you are not bombed. Believe me we all do it and it's no big deal. You shouldn't drive drunk. A couple of Cuba Libre's is not being drunk.

The island is beautiful and easy to get around. The people are friendly and peaceful...they just don't speak the same language that you do. Why are people so afraid to go explore it for themselves. With so many secluded and beautiful beach locations why are people so obsessed with only going to beaches that over charge and are packed with other Americans.

Show some spirit. Get out there on your own. We are men and women not sheep to be herded. Nobody is going to harm you or grab your kids. I came here for about 15 years as avisitor before I moved here. I never ever entertained the idea of doing any of the above "tourist" things. Get a map, a car, something to drink and go explore. You don't need any help. Things are easy here. The only thing you need help with is fishing and diving, as you need aboat and crew for that.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,664 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Great post , Capt.Ron--my sentiments exactly. For the same reasons you stated, I almost never see an American tourist exploring other parts of the Yucatan--they are afraid to venture out so they are herded around in tour buses and are only exposed to their fellow tourists!

I visit Valladolid often and see few Americans. I see many Europeans but , in general, the Europeans are not afraid to stray away from the pack---in fact, prefer it.

I always wondered what the attraction could possibly be at a place like Playa Mia, where you can be assured of spending the day with hundreds of your fellow cruise ship passengers and paying cruise ship prices!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Listen to Captain Ron......he speaks the truth!

We've been going to Coz for 12 years or so and the only time we have ever paid to go to a "beach club" was to see the Chakanaub Parque.

If your hotel or condo doesn't provide a cooler and cozies for you to use for day trips, stop by Chedraui's and buy a cooler, some cold beverages and explore the island. When you get hungry, stop at one of the free beach clubs for lunch.

We've written a tongue in cheek review of the beaches and we would be happy to share with anyone that wants it. It's a bit of a big file at 10 mb due to the pictures. If you want one, e mail me at: mlindsey@<RemoveThisPart>baskervill.com (There's a clue in the email address to tell you to remove parts of it so I don't get spam!)

When you get ready to leave, surprise on of your new found friends with the cooler for their exploration trip.

The

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Personally those who hire a taxi/van and enjoy the east side while drinking are more responsible than your suggestion. The east side road is not one to have diminished driving abilities because of alcohol.

There are beach clubs with no entrance fees on the west side.

The water is calmer and safer on the west side.

The beach clubs on the west side offer amenities that you won't find on the east side.

Evanston,Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Ron-

I second that and hear disturbing stories of what the crusie ships tell their guests where NOT to go. The people of Cozumel are incredibly, kind, genuine and gentle. You can go safely beyond the first few blocks and really see what the people are like. I suggest anyone wanting to explore Cozumel coming off a cruise ship do a web search ahead of time. Check out any one of numerous web sites dedicated to Cozumel and learn what there is to do on island OTHER than the planned cruise ship trips. I first came to Cozumel in 1975- certainly lots of changes since then, especially the last ten to fifteen years. Cozumel is truly a unique island, due mostly to what the surrounding waters offer as well as the people who live there.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

There is one other thing I don't understand. Cozumel is a quirky and constantly changing environment. There is hardly a day that goes by when something new doesn't happen. I do not understand how the "local experts" can be people that are not local at all. It is very hard to stay dialed into the island and I don't see how you do that from the States or Canada. And if you are an "expert" please stop with the URL's. People need first hand experiences, not a link to a website that is basically an ad for whatever service.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

I don't understand how people can promote drinking and driving. We don't all do it.

Cozumel Island
Level Contributor
633 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Mark that was inappropriate. I specifically said it is not a good idea to drive drunk. Every day of the week there are hundreds of people in jeeps and cars and buggies stopping at beach bars. What do you think they are doing?

ohio
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Captn Ron, good advise, but with a designated sober driver!

What we need is good "to go lists" . Lots of great information is posted here, but a search will lead you threw literally pages of arguments and disagreements.

Example I know somewhere on this forum exists a very good description of where and how to find the taxis at the airport.. I spent an hour searching threw tons of posts and never did find it. The good information is mixed in the disagreements.. somewhere.

With good to go lists, we could cut/paste /print lists we need . It would also be a good reference when you get the constant repeat questions!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Hi

Im sorry but the world is full of people who "had a drink but were not drunk" when the killed someone in their car.

When driving on foreign roads you need your wits about you.-any alcohol will dull your reactions.

Take Ron's advice and you may be in for a quick trip to a Mexican jail.

Keep safe

Ian

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches, Tours and Other Island Thoughts

Great suggestion on loading up a cooler and going to the east side. I have always wanted to do that but was not sure if it was legal or not.

There was a previous thread on carrying a beer around the town square and it was inconclusive on whether or not it was legal or just an accepted practice.

Do they still have sobriety check points on the island? Would it raise a red flag to have a cooler full of beer? Is it legal to sit on a public beach and drink alcohol?

I would like to do it on my next visit but would want to be assured that I was not doing anything illegal that might add a little stress to my vacation. I go to lot of places for adventure, but I go to Cozumel to relax.