We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large family transportation options

Vancouver
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Large family transportation options

I have been to Cozumel 2x's, so easy with 2 people. This time I am bringing my whole dang family who are not as comfortable travelling in foreign places as we are. There will be 6 adults & 3 kids. I suspect when we arrive our best option is to take 3 taxis to Occidental, am I correct in the cost of $180 pesos per vehicle to get there? I looked into a shuttle but they wanted $225 usd so not doing that.

2nd question if anyone can help, we want to tour the island one day. Is there anything we can rent to fit 9 people in 2 vehicles? If so, who can we rent from that has larger vehicles. I don't see anything that fits on Isis website.

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
18 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large family transportation options

You should be able to take a private shuttle van from the airport for about 260 pesos pp. That doesn't equal $225. USD. Or I don't see why it'd be a big deal to take the regular shared shuttle for about 150 pesos pp.

For a day tour I would just hire a taxi van for the day to take you wherever you want to go. I bet your hotel can set it up for you. You'd have to take a taxi all the way into town to rent cars from Isis. That'd be at least $20. each way.

lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large family transportation options

There are several recommended van drivers on Cozumel 4 you FB page....Sonny tushiro Hernandez,taz Miranda,Santiago Zapata canche. All can be contacted thru FB. Since you know a little of the island, I'd bet you could work out a great day or two with one of these guys! Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
toronto
Level Contributor
854 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large family transportation options

We've stayed at the Iberostar and had them set up a driver for us with a van that accommodated ten of us for about $150US for the day. That was a few years ago so I imagine the price may be higher.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,345 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large family transportation options

Thank you for your responses! That is very helpful, I will look for that FB page.

Mdp, we are not coming from Cozumel airport we are coming from the Pier, sorry, should have stated that I went on to Greylines webpage & it gives me a price of $225 usd for pick up from Pier bringing us to Occidental in zone 4 for 9 people. That is the price they are asking! Seems steep to me too! 3 taxis will be way less than that.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Large family transportation options

That's a crazy price and not needed. Which pier? The people ferry in town? Whichever pier it is you'll find large vans waiting there that will fit your group for a fraction of that price.

cozumel
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Large family transportation options

Sorry but something fishy here...........I just googled Grayline Cozumel and they state that that van in their picture is "not necessarily" what they will use...........sounds like some company on the mainland trying to sell you something that you could get anyway withOUT using some bogus third party.......are you flying into Cancun then?........is your quoted price from Cancun airport to the PIER in Playa del Carmen and THEN transport to the hotel once you are in Cozumel?............sorry but I just don't get it.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun Airport
Cancun Airport
Cancun, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large family transportation options

Mdp, yes, we are arriving at the people ferry around noon so that is great to hear there should be vans there.

Betsy, you may be right they may just be a third party taking their cut to make the arrangements. My quote is for pickup from the people ferry in Cozumal, not the airport. We are staying in Playa del Carmen before we head over to Cozumel & we will have our luggage. Could that be why I am quoted $225? Maybe that means 2 vehicles to fit 9 people & 9 luggage?

I should also mention that I have used this company 2 times before & they were a legitimate company with, at the time, very good rates for what I needed on the mainland. They just so happened to be one of the first to come up for Cozumel when I did my search.

Thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
cozumel
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Large family transportation options

""very good rates for what I needed on the mainland"".........key words being ON THE MAINLAND............hahha.......don't fall for it in Cozumel......get off the ferry, find a van in the line and voila......good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large family transportation options

Ridiculous. IMO any time you book transport ahead of time thru anyone...you're going to be paying 2 or 3 times the going rate for no reason. Do not do this. Luggage, no luggage, 1 car, 2 cars...it makes no sense. There will be BIG vans waiting at the pier for you, your family and your luggage.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,109 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large family transportation options

I can guarantee you Grayline does not operate vans on Cozumel. As others said, they will charge you and inflated price to put you in the same vans you can get on your own. As said , you will find taxi vans to take your from the pier with no problems. If no large van waiting in the line to take you, just ask the taxi dispatcher and he will have one for you pronto. As said by Betsy, Grayline does operate vans on the mainland but not on the island.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Reply to: Large family transportation options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted