We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

We are planning our first trip to Cozumel in January 2018 and have two kids ages 9 and 13 and are looking at All Inclusives. We are beach people but don't mind if we have to enter via a ladder or something as long as swimming is possible. Our daughter loves music and dance lessons and might be a bit bored if we just sat by a pool all day but doesn't really need a kids club. It seems like Iberostar Cozumel is best but I could use some advice. We like food and struggle in a place like Cuba to find things to eat but aren't huge foodies and don't expect lobster at every meal or white glove service or anything. We like the sound of the jungle type atmosphere described at the Iberostar but will be 4 in a room so we can't have rooms that are too run down or tiny. So what should we choose - Iberostar, Occidental or Playa Azul? - Please let us know your advice and thanks everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,342 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
178 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
7 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

The rooms at Iberostar are tiny. And it's very far south from music and dancing. You'd need a rent car or would pay a lot for taxis. Playa Azul is a great spot not too far north of town. They have a plan that includes breakfast and also a pricey AI plan. It's rocky entry there but you can enter the water off the pier. Good snorkeling there. Can't comment on Occidental.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,342 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
178 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
2. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 August 2017, 18:14

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

Thanks everyone. I think my kid would be happy with a few dance lessons by the pool at a resort so a bit of entertainment was what we were hoping for rather than having to go into town for that which we might also do after a few days. Perhaps Iberostar with a room upgrade might work? The Playa Azul looks awesome but so small I worried my kids might be the only ones there and I might worry it would kill a more relaxing, adult vibe. What do people think of Occidental?

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,342 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
178 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Vancouver
Level Contributor
404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

Fiona, I copied my response I sent to someone else below. We chose Occidental with 3 kids, 5, 7 & 9. It was the best fit for us. The price was incredible for the Royal section which has upgraded rooms, private pool, first club lounge & private upscale restaurant. Then of course you have access to the entire resort. I have read every review & looked at every picture. As others mentioned, it is in zone 4 so if you want to go into town frequently that can add up. But not a concern for us.

"I had my choices narrowed down to the same places. I chose Occidental because I could book the Royal Luxury section for cheaper than the regular section. I paid $158 a night. You have to actually book it under their Royal level Luxury listing to get that rate though. If you book it through their Occidental Cozumel listing it was substantially more. Not sure if it was a glitch in their system but then I used a coupon code through Orbitz & got an additional $75 off my stay. So it worked out to even cheaper per night. Booking direct was way more too. Any questions let me know!"

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,894 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Royal Level at Occidental Cozumel
Royal Level at...
360 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Occidental Cozumel
Occidental Cozumel
5,502 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

The big rooms at Iberostar are Ocean View Jr. Suites but only have 1 king bed. Maybe you could get 2 standard rooms. Or do what girlieduke did...she sounds smart and in the know.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,342 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Brillion, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

I would recommend Fiesta Americana and get the upgrade to the "Deluxe" room. Separate room for the two of you and another room for the kids with a large sofa sleeper TV's in both rooms if you need that. Big balcony that covers both rooms with a hammock ,table and chairs. Excellent staff and activities for the kids. Two pools and several ala carte restaurants that you do not need to make reservations to go to that are very good Mexican, Italian, Asian. There is also a buffet every day for lunch and breakfast. A very good seafood restaurant on the man made beach with lots of beds built over the water and very good snorkeling if you are into that. You are only a very short walk to the famous Money Bar that has live music Fri, Sat, Sun and a happy hour every day I believe 5PM -7PM. My wife and I have stayed at Occidental Grand, Hotel Cozumel but Fiesta Americana has been by far the best (6 times now). The last two years we are renting a house but we will go back to FA. Staff is by far the most friendly and accommodating at FA in our 22 years coming.

Edited: 18 August 2017, 02:46
Mentioned in this post
Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive
Fiesta Americana Cozumel...
1,367 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
Hotel Cozumel and Resort
1,956 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
973 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?

Yes, you may very well be the ONLY one's at Playa Azul as we were a few years back. I would love to go back there as a couple but would never take my daughter. She was only 5 at the time and loved the water, beach, snorkeling, turtles out front but got VERY bored. Super nice place, though, and I highly recommend, just not with children. No activities other than the beach, really, either. Near Playa Azul is El Cozumeleno. We have stayed there numerous times but that is because we know what to expect and it's CHEAP. LOTS of daytime activities. My daughter learned how to count in Spanish at their Spanish class, exercised, did yoga, water aerobics, dance classes, movie night, bingo daily, etc. And the walk in snorkeling is fantastic, esp for a child. Beach is great for a long walk, it's safe to walk outside of the resort. They used to have a bike tour to town which was nice, too. Rooms are fairly large and all have a phenomenal view of the ocean from the bed. Food and drinks will probably not be as good or nearly as good as Iberostar or Occidental, though. However, it's less than $20 r/t to go to town to shop, walk around and enjoy dinner at one of the many local establishments.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
178 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
El Cozumeleno Beach Resort
El Cozumeleno Beach...
5,992 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,342 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Reply to: Where to stay with (not so little) kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted