We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling from Occidental Grand

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
119 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkling from Occidental Grand

Looking for some suggestions for snorkling locations and days trips for a novice snorkler. We are staying at the Occidental Grand.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

In the search button above, type in snorkeling. There are plenty of posts. You will be a 5 min boat ride to the Palanacar reef, supposed to be the best place to see coral and fish.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

I was at the Occidental Grand the first week of March. For a novice, it might be good to start at the roped off beach area. Although rather murky, go all the way out to the edge of the roped off section. At the point nearest the pier there were always large schools of different fish, and dozens of blue tangs, seargent majors, french grunts. There is also a 4 foot barracuda that seems to lurk around there and, just north a bit, a moray eel we saw repeatedly. I also saw two different yellow stingrays further along to the north, along with one southern stingray.

When you get bored with that area, I would strongly recommend Dzul Ha. The coral is not what it was before the hurricane, but the range of marine life is still amazing. I went two days, and on the first a beautiful white-spotted eagle ray.

I would suggest you pass on the 3 reef trip offered by Dive Palancar. As a novice it is possible that you might enjoy it, but you will see far more marine life at Dzul Ha.

Have fun!

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

You have a few options. For snorkeling directly from a beach or rather ironshore, go to Dzul-Ha or Chankanaab Park. Dzul-Ha is free but if you use one of their tables then you are 'expected' to simply order something like drinks or snacks or something. Chankanaab Park has an admission fee of about $15 I think.

Both of them offer mediocre snorkeling at best, due to 2 hurricanes in rapid succession, but you will still be able to see some limited coral and marine life.

You can take one for the Fury Catamaran snorkel tours, where you go to a couple of different offshore reefs and I think it includes a stop at a beach somewhere for a picnic. The snorkeling on the offshore reefs is what it is all about!

I think that the best offshore snorkel tour is from Palancar Beach Club. It's around $40 per person. You snorkel along with the current and the boat follows you along. A divemaster or dive instructor goes overboard with the snorkelers to help guide them and point out various creatures.

Have fun...

Ohio
Level Contributor
926 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

We were @ the Grand in Dec & took the 3-reef snorkel tour. We really enjoyed it, especially the last reef, Palancar. We would recommend it, also Dzul-Ha was well worth the trip, & their food is good & plentiful & inexpensive. Try it, hope you enjoy it, Mo

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
119 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

Excellent - thanks so much that is exactly the info I was looking for. To search through all the "snorkling" posts was extremely overwhelming!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkling from Occidental Grand

I just got back from the Grand a few days ago! The snorkeling was unbelievable out by the ropes on the beach. I saw thousands of fish!! My review should be posted soon.......