We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
61 reviews
CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

I need info. on how best to get from the airport at Cancun to Cozumel. I realize the bus will be the least expensive way and goes with only one stop at Puerto Morelos. However, once off the bus the walk to the ferry pulling a suitcase would be tough for my husband due to a mobility issue. What other forms of transport would be easier & what would the cost likely be? How much is the ferry?

Also wondering how late the ferry runs during the late fall?

Thanks for any helpful info!

Edited: 14 October 2017, 06:45
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,496 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

It's a 3 minute, 200 meter walk. Just over a block away

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

You can get assistance from the guys in the 3 wheel push bike carts. Your husband can even ride with the luggage if he wants. They can take you to buy your tickets and take you right to the ferry loading ramp. I would tip 100 pesos if he does all that for you. 50 pesos if he drops you off at the ticket booth.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
157 reviews
3. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

Good information from Chris. The tricycle guys will be pleased to take you and your luggage to the ferry. I have used them often when I was cutting it close on the departure time.

Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
4. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

You'll see the tricycles as soon as you exit the bus terminal (the one on 5th Ave of course) -- they wait on Av. Juarez.

Edited: 14 October 2017, 15:14
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
157 reviews
5. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

Yes, they are always at the 5th Av. terminal but I often see them at the terminal on 20. Several times, when no taxis were waiting, I have had one take me from the terminal on 20 to the ferry. A long ride but these guys are fast. Maybe faster than a taxi.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
61 reviews
6. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

Thanks to everyone who posted for the info!

So when we get off the bus from CUN, we'll be at the 5th Ave. station, correct? So there will be both tricycle guys AND taxis, correct? I assume the bike guys charge less than the taxis and the time to the ferry dock would be about the same no matter which mode of transport. Would we need to get 2 tricycles or can one handle 2 adults plus 2 good sized suitcases & a carry-on?

Texas
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

It's either walk or tricycolo. There isn't a street at the ferry.

8. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 October 2017, 21:36
Edited: 14 October 2017, 21:36
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,040 posts
9. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

"So when we get off the bus from CUN, we'll be at the 5th Ave. station, correct?"

Yes. The ADO bus might make a stop at the other bus terminal in Playa, but it will continue to and terminate at the 5th Ave terminal (known as the Turistica terminal).

"So there will be both tricycle guys AND taxis, correct?"

Yes. Both are right outside the bus terminal.

"I assume the bike guys charge less than the taxis"

I think so. The streets near the ferry terminal are pedestrian only (except for the tricycles) so taxis won't be able to drive to the ferry terminal. It will take about 3 minutes by tricycle.

"Would we need to get 2 tricycles or can one handle 2 adults plus 2 good sized suitcases & a carry-on?"

Judge for yourself when you get there.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
48,146 posts
157 reviews
10. Re: CUN to Cozumel - Avoiding walk from bus station to ferry?

It would be difficult tor the tricycle to handle two adult passengers and luggage. I would get two. It is a fast trip since it is downhill to the pier.