We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping off the beaten path?

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
255 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping off the beaten path?

So, most 'tourists' tend to hang out on the western side of the island (the side facing the mainland).

What i would like to do is find those nice little shops that are away from the main-drag (not on Av. Rafael E. Melgar), the ones that are several blocks in - the 'hidden' souvenir shops, clothing stores, restaurants, and whatever other cool stores there might be - something away from all the touristy stuff along the waterfront. any and all suggestions, please?

Edited: 16 October 2017, 21:49
10 replies to this topic
Texas
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

https:/…

https:/… It's on the waterfront but has nice handmade things and a good jeweler.

Edited: 16 October 2017, 22:27
lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

Theres a great little shop named Cucurucucu on 10 near Rosado Salas. Its owned by a woman born on Coz who sells textiles, clothes, art work from the mainland.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

If you find yourself on the East side, when you head back toward town on the transversal road, there is a place on the left, where the guy makes all this different stuff (both large and small) out of concrete. The bigger stuff is outside, and the smaller stuff is in his little store. He also has some interesting primitive masks in there as well.

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

I did the Google "Street view", virtually walking down the street, and had trouble finding the Cucurucucu.

maybe it's just not on the map for some reason? or am i just missing it?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
423 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

The mercado was a neat place to visit. It’s a market with all kinds of neat things to buy. Its on Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas between Avendida 20 and 25. It is not touristy. Great little market!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

The Mercado IS fun! Plan on eating at one of the little food vendors outside. We buy spices there to bring home and fresh squeezed juices to make cocktails with. If you go early pick out some nice fish to have cooked for you at your lodgings or at a restaurant.

lake erie ohio
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

Cucu is across the street from kelleys and a little south. Easy to miss. Take a look at her FB page!

Bellingham, WA
Level Contributor
255 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

Cucu - here, perhaps?

https://www.google.com/maps/@20.5084451,-86.9493978,3a,75y,104.84h,88.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6iEMOT4vY1iZjgzDvbpHBg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

Everyone always suggest los Cinco soles for shopping. The shop (Tucan) 25 feet south of it on Melgar has everything they do for a 1/4 of the price. Learned that the hard way lol. Sorry

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,801 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping off the beaten path?

Good suggestion about Tucan but I don't find nearly the selection of Cinco Soles. And really have found Cinco Soles prices very fair for the quality of goods they sell. I have been often to both but always return to Cinco Soles.

Reply to: Shopping off the beaten path?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted