We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....

Oz
Level Contributor
305 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....

Making the long story short, I've made many a friend with housekeeping staff by changing the USA coins they can't use into pesos.

It started a couple years back when I noticed a tray full of USA quarters on her cart. They were arranged in a pattern as if art. I asked her what it was and she told me. I responded it was money. Alas, it's not possible to change coins (moneda) into paper currency anywhere.

Now I'm the money changer. Last trip I came back with something like 12 pounds of coins!! The staff are always great whether I change or not, but now I always do and it seems like the number of people I'm doing it for is increasing.....all hotel staff.

I use the XE.com exchange rate which is essentially the LIBOR rate and is quite friendly to the recipient. It's an easy thing to do and now I've more friends.

When "tipping".....foreign coins are useless. Gotta be paper. The "group" stand around as we count the coins and we essentially have quite a bit of merriment as we go over what coins are from where/what nation. I'm think we're up to 32 different countries at this time. Anyway......it's fun doing simple things. One doesn't have to spend money or drink ethanol to have fun on Cozumel.

3 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,795 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....

Good advice and that can help many who are stuck with the coins. When I'm coming to the USA I do something similar to help my local friends. Being in the tour business, they accumulate quite a lot in dollar bills Etc, and they are happy to exchange with me when I need the dollars.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
58 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....

I have a giant coin bucket and it is my mad money. When full it is about $250.00. This will help me fill it quicker and help the Cozumelenos in the process.

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
193 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....

Our first ever trip south was last year. We went to a resort in Cuba. We weren't even there half a day and had to have an electrician come to our room. He was all smiles and very quick to fix the problem. Once finished he held up a Toonie ($2 coin) and asked for pesos. I told him no. I don't even know what my thought process was with that. Looking back I should have just gave him a few pesos (I now know that $2CAD = 30 pesos but I didn't know that then). I mean really it would have been no more than a $2 loss for me.

I still feel bad about doing that to him. But I'm trying to better myself and keep an open mind instead of dwelling on something I can not change (the past).

When we know better we do better

Reply to: Exchanging coins for paper money: Make a New Friend....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted