We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st day trip to Cozumel

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
1st day trip to Cozumel

So my wife and i are coming to Mexico for the 3rd time and this time we are sure that we're gonna take a day trip to Cozumel.

We're staying at the ERC near Puerto Morelos and want some suggestions on our day trip.

What do you guys think is the best way to get around the island for 2 people; Jeep rental, scooter rental or taxi?

What are the must do's or the places that we have to see?

We thought that the weekend would be a better time to visit when the cruise ships aren't there as neither of us want to be swamped with crowds. What do you think?

We both like to snorkel (neither or us know how to dive ☹️) are there any good places to snorkel off the beach?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Oh and we thought that we would get to the ferry in PDC from our hotel via colectivo if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
10 replies to this topic
Geneseo, IL
Level Contributor
102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

Bucannos would be a great place to spend the afternoon for great food and snorkeling. However if you have never been to the east side it is a must also which may not leave enough time to hit Bucannos. Plenty of places to stop on the east side but none with good snorkeling. Chen Rio for a dip in the ocean is a must also while on the east side.

Mentioned in this post
Chen Rio
Chen Rio
271 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

Come on Sunday. Take a taxi to Buccanos for breakfast. Our Sunday breakfast there was the BEST! We were the first guests there and it never did get crowded...at all. Nice snorkeling there.

No scooter, no scooter, no scooter. Dangerous.

Then take a taxi over to the east side stopping wherever you like.

The draw back to Sunday would be that Punta Sur will be closed and you can't do the boat trip snorkel from Playa Palancar. There's a website where you can check how many ships will be on Cozumel. Maybe Saturday would be better...check and see.

Mentioned in this post
Buccanos at Night
Buccanos at Night
659 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Playa Palancar
Playa Palancar
1,106 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
322 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

I'll third Bucannos. Or Playa Azul on Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
178 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

Here is a link to a web site that will help you decide which day to visit based on the cruise ship traffic..

cruiseportinsider.com/…oct

We have only been to Coz twice but I refer to this site to decide when to go to town for shopping & dinner etc.

Level Contributor
1,315 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

I like hiring a taxi to get around, no hassle with insurance or dings or parking or gas, just no lost time. That being said, a rental gives you lots of freedom. If you go to the east side, hire the taxi by the hour, as there are no phones and there and you can't just call one.

Level Contributor
152 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

I'd rent a dune buggy as long as you don't have to lock up valuables while at the beach. They are usually in rough shape, but so much fun to cruise around in. There are lots of options for shore snorkeling. Buccanos on the north, Money Bar, Sky Reef and Corona on the south. Punta Sur has the best shore snorkeling. If you have the whole day, I would definitely spend some time on the east side too.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions so far.

Any ideas on the cost for renting a beach buggy for the day or the cost of taxis for getting around the island?

Level Contributor
1,315 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

A few years back, I paid $90.00 USD for 5 hours

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

Was that $90 for a cab or a beach buggy

Level Contributor
152 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st day trip to Cozumel

4 or 5 years ago we rented a dune buggy during a cruise stop. It was around $50, I don't recall if that was for the day, or the 5 or 6 hours we were off the boat. We did not have a reservation, we rented at the cruise ship terminal.

Reply to: 1st day trip to Cozumel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted