We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cozumel airport

eastern long island
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cozumel airport

Can anyone give me an idea how long to allow at the airport for the return trip to the states? Is the standard two hours the way to go? We have a Friday early-afternoon flight heading out on Good Friday. Suggestions from experienced Cozumel travellers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cozumel airport

what airline are you flying?

Frankly, we did the "two-hour rule" on a Sunday afternoon flying out on Frontier in Mid-March, and it took us five minutes to check in and 5 minutes through security and i moaned that we could have spent at least another hour by the pool.

But, i guess i wouldn't advise that :) although we did talk to another couple who frequents Cozumel all the time and they said they never do more than hour (they also always fly frontier to Denver). But i guess two hours would be playing it safe :) since it is the technical "rule".

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cozumel airport

I know its a tough call, an extra hour poolside or sleeping in or facing the possibility of missing your flight home. Many airlines close the check-in process an hour before a flight. I've seen it several times when someone comes up with under an hour till flight time and then not being allowed to check in, and eventually board the flight home.

Is an extra hour pool side worth risking missing you flight and having to pony up to reschedule ?

Fly Smart.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cozumel airport

From my days with the airlines, I can tell you most airlines do close check in one hour before departure. This is due to much paperwork which must be completed before departure of an international flight. Dont risk cutting it too close!

eastern long island
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cozumel airport

We are flying Continental. I agree with the theory that it's better to be safe than sorry. That said, is there anything at the airport to keep the family happy - like a bar for dad and food for the kids? Is there anywhere to sit outside to catch those last few rays of sun? Is it a busy airport with just 3 chairs? Just want to have an idea what to expect. Thanks to everyone for there well-reasoned responses.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cozumel airport

Plenty of places to sit but not really much to do before you pass through security. But on the other side of security you will find food, drink and duty free and other shopping. Its not a Cancun airport, fortunately, but still very nice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,696 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cozumel airport

There's a small bar in the NE corner of the airport and a "snack bar" that sells already prepared sandwiches in the SE corner after you go through security.

Seating is comfortable and the place is pretty quiet and most people are tired and stunned by the reality of going home.

There's a duty free customs shop for booze and a smaller "Cinco Soles " type shop as well. If you buy booze and have a connecting flight in CLT (and I guess anywhere else) they will hand you the bag as you exit the building to get onto the plane. You will need to put this in your CHECKED bags after you reclaim your bags in Customs, but before you re-check them to your final destination. You cannot carry the booze on the plane by hand due to the 3 oz rule once you are back in the states.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cozumel airport

Hotdog.. we too fly Continental and usually try to arrive at the Coz airport about 15 minutes prior to the 1 hour cutoff. That's plenty of time for check-in, security and some duty free shopping.. If you bring a laptop there is also wireless internet.. although I've never been able to connect.. LOL but that's probably because of my settings on my computer. But Cozumel does have a nice airport and like another posted said there is a bar that does serve COLD cerveza! Not many food choices (small hotdogs (no pun intended!) $4.00) so bring your own food or eat before you get to the airport!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cozumel airport

We had a March 18th flight out of Coz that was to leave at 2:30pm.

They started boarding a little before 1pm and were closing the doors shortly after 1:30 and we were on our way...got in 45 minutes early to Minneapolis. We got to the airport about 12:15, they were unpacking most peoples bags ahead of us, they changed workers as it was our turn to be inspected, and they just motioned us right up to the counter, so check-in went really quick!

Steve

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
103 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cozumel airport

We just came home from Coz on March 10th. Our USAir flight (Coz to Charlotte to Philly) was due to leave at 12:30, we arrived at the airport around 10:30. Our plane wasn't there yet, and was due in about 30 to 60 minutes late, so our flight would be taking off late. USAir runs lots of connections through Charlotte, so lots of people needed to re-book their connections that they were missing due to getting into Charlotte late. They were rebooking these connections when you checked in at Coz, since they knew you'd be missing your connection anyway (apparently everyone had short layovers or they didn't want to take the chance that you'd miss your connection and were playing it safe and re-booking it then).

Long story short: The line was long and moved REALLY slow. We stood in line about 1 hour and 20 minutes. On top of that, USAir had a 2:30 flight that day too, so people started to get in line to check in for that as well.

I guess if I had gotten there an hour later, it wouldn't have mattered much because the plane was late to begin with. But the check in was NOT quick.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,550 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cozumel airport

Having worked for the airline, I can tell you the check in is not always quick. And, if they encounter re-booking problems as mentioned here, it will be extremely slow. One problem is that none of the counter people at Cozumel or Cancun (with the exception of the Mexican airlines) work for the airline---they are contract workers who are not well trained to deal with problems. (they are very low paid!)

It is not a good idea to cut it close. The counter normally closes one hour prior to departure for check in--and these contract workers usually follow the rules closely!