We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tikin-xic

Tennessee
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Tikin-xic

Could anyone recommed a good place for this dish or is it a common staple there?

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
452 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tikin-xic

How do pronounce this dish , and is it spicy ? I'm a fish lover and would love to try it. I think I read about a restaurant that served fish with 3 sauces , and this was one of them MD

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tikin-xic

i saw it on the menu at alberto's when we were there yesterday. hubby had the lobster and said it was wonderful. i had the garlic shrimp, so yummy!!!!!

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tikin-xic

It is pronounced "teek-en-SHEEK" and it is a traditional Mayan way of preparing fish. It includes achiote, a local spice, and tomatoes. And I believe it's all wrapped in banana leaves. And yes, it is delicious. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a BAD tikinxic....

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tikin-xic

I had it at the mexican restaurant at Cozumel Palace. It was very good! And it is spiced with achiote as mentioned above, and the one i had was baked in a banana leaf with onions, green peppers, and a tomato sauce. It isn't "hot" spicy, but flavorful.

El Turix might be another place to get it as they serve traditional yucatan foods (wanted to try there for cochinita pibil) but never ended up making it there.

The address I have for them is Calle 17 Sur between Ave 20 and 25 (across from Corpus Christi Church on Square), but from what I read, they only cook a few yucatan specialities a night, so not sure if they would always have it on the nightly menu.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tikin-xic

Thanks "Living". Sounds delicious. Now to find the right place in Coz to get it.

6. Re: Tikin-xic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 12:29