We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerns - needless I am sure but?

Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Topic
Concerns - needless I am sure but?

We are planning a career break next year, travelling with a three year old.

So we were thinking of going to Cozumel or Puerto Rico. I posted a request on the Cozumel and Puerto Rico pages to get peoples thoughts and the Cozumel postings have been very useful as have the one on the Puerto Rico forum. The thinig that concerned me was that the local expert on the Puerto Rico pages said that well basically in Mexico there are a lot of child muggings, medical facilities are not great, and a few other things. I am not meaning to offend anyone this is what they said.

I have always presumed Cozumel and Cancun is completely different to other parts of Mexico that may have a few problems for one reason or the other.

It was the child muggings that obviously really concerned me, I feel terrible writing this but wanted to ask the local experts and people who really know what they think. I don't think the local expert in Puerto Rico has ever been to Cozumel.

Thanks for your help

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

We went to Cozumel last year and felt completely safe.

We are NZs and only have 4 million people so safety and security is an issue for us as we are not used to being crowded.

exercise caution where ever you travel - even in NZ

Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

Cozumel is not Mexico City.... know what I mean? Cozumel is a very laid back island. Small town feel. Crime is minimal. From what I have read and researched its mostly petty theft.... leave your camera sitting somewhere and it is probably not going to be there when you return. Leave your purse in the car with the windows down and not locked... say goodbye purse.... But it’s like that everywhere right? Houses get broken into and small things get stolen. That is why many houses have the bars on the windows. Especially the vacation homes where no one is around to keep watch. I see how highly the people of Cozumel hold their children. Children are loved and you will see these proud parents with their beautiful children in the square on Sunday nights.

From all I have read and researched if I had a child and if I am blessed with one in the future I will not hesitate to bring them to Cozumel. I would exercise the same caution and safety as I do at home when I am out and about with my niece and nephew. Such as keeping your child in sight. Not letting them run loose through the store or in the street. And especially keeping close watch on them when they are near the water!

I am sure others will chime in. I would also recommend you check out

They have a wealth of information on this website. There are areas about living on the island and a chatboard with many locals and part time residents who contribute. Read a bit over there and then post questions if you have them. I think you will find some very good information to help you make your decision and see that you don’t have to be overly worried!

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

Althea, just look what is going on in Portugal with the missing kid?!

I would say Cozumel is one of the safest places I know, particularly in terms of personal safety. And I'm from Liverpool, so I'm always on guard. You can relax there, believe me. Any kid that gets to spend some time there is lucky indeed.

Good luck and keep us posted. The people of Cozumel are the best.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

Cozumel is one of the safest places I have ever lived. I would not hesitate to bring my grandchildren down here. I have heard about kidnappings for ransom in the Mexico City area, but never in the Cozumel or Maya Riviera area. Personally I believe that Cozumel is especially safe because it is an island and abducting someone would be very difficult...where can you run to? Ya know? Maintain the same sort of vigilence you would at home and your experience will be a good one.

Before I visited in Mexico I thought it was a country with lots of banditos. However, I have driven down from the US, back and back down again alone. I have traveled all over the Yucatan Peninsula and never once felt insecure or threatened. I've traveled alone, with American friends, and with Mexican friends. The experience is always a good one. Mexican people are some of the warmest, kindest, most considerate people I have ever been lucky enough to meet.

Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

Mexigringa: Uh-huh. Go up to Matamoros, Guadlajara, Juarez or any other Mex town anywhere near the US border or Mexico City and tell me that. NOT.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

DacorDude, I crossed three times through Matamoros and did not have a problem any of the times. I listen to the news and I hear horror stories as well. But then I hear them for my home town and don't see the problems when I run to the store either. I'm not crossing in the middle of the night...selling or buying drugs...drinking and carousing. I never said that border towns were safe. What I said is that I have done the trip three times (that is eastern side without going near Guadalajara or Mexico City) and never felt threatened or had a problem. I stand by that. It is my experience.

I'm not a big fan of any big city for the most part. I don't ever plan to visit Mexico City unless I am with a Spanish speaking person who is very familiar with the city. That is my comfort level. But I have driven through towns during the day alone, sometimes gotten lost...and later read in the newspaper or saw on tv that there had been a problem. I did not feel threatened or have a problem. People have always treated me with kindness and courtesy. That doesn't mean crime doesn't exist. I'm not stupid.

I still believe that Cozumel is very safe. That was the poster's question. I still maintain that I have had nothing but good experiences traveling in Mexico.

7. Re: Concerns - needless I am sure but?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 17:18
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question