We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Anyone been to both El Coz AND Barcelo Maya Beach?

West Monroe, LA
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Anyone been to both El Coz AND Barcelo Maya Beach?

Last year DH and I went to the Barcelo Maya Beach. While I enjoyed the beautiful beach and lots of space, the rest of the amenities left me (and most particularly my DH) dissatisfied. In retrospect, we should have upgraded to the Colonial/Tropical side. This year, we want to focus more on snorkeling/diving (Cozumel) but due to budget constraints, we don't think we can go with Coz Palace. All the positive reviews here regarding El Coz leaves me wondering if I should give it a shot. We are also looking for good food and drinks, comfortable beds, and good service - all of which BMB lacked (JMO). My spoiled DH wants a place that provides beach service and adequate shade, without being too crowded - which I'm not too certain El Coz provides. I've thought about doing non- AI, but I'm not too sure it would be all that cost effective, in the long run. Can anyone who has been to both El Coz and BMB compare the two for me? Even if you haven't been to BMB and you've been to El Coz, any advice is appreciated. THANKS!!

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Anyone been to both El Coz AND Barcelo Maya Beach?

I have been to both and would give the El Coz a slight edge with all things considered.

They are two different types of resorts. The El Coz is compact with the beach, restaurants, and all amenities within close proximity. The Barcelo is spread out and it is quite a hike to get anywhere.

The Barcelo actually had better snorkeling by the hotel, especially between the pier and the island. The snorkeling at the El Coz is almost as good, but there are places around Cozumel that are much better than the Barcelo.

Barcelo has the best beach...probably the best in Mexico.

I thought the food was much better at the Barcelo. We stayed in the Tropical section and it was definitely worth the upgrade. The Maya section of the Barcelo and the El Coz are the same in the way that the buffets are not air conditioned, but the a la carte restaurants are.

All Barcelo rooms have stocked refrigerators, only certain deluxe rooms do at the El Coz.

What gives the El Coz the edge in my opinion are the breath taking views from rooms and the special atmosphere around the resort. Even the few expensive oceanfront suites at the Barcelo do not even come close. 5% of the rooms at the Barcelo have an ocean view... and not a very good one at that. 95% of the El Coz rooms have spectacular ocean views.

The sea is also at least 3 times clearer by the El Coz.

2. Re: HELP! Anyone been to both El Coz AND Barcelo Maya Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 02:18