We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
3 posts
Save Topic
Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

We have been on 3 trips in the last 18 months.

1 - Aventura Spa Palace

2 - Grand Cozumel

3 - Riu in Jamaica

While I wouldn't say the food was bad at any of these places, I did not ENJOY one meal. AND -- sometimes -- depending on where you were on the resort and what time of day it was -- I felt like it was a struggle to get a GOOD drink.

My first question is:

a) Does good food and all inclusive really co-exist?

When we stayed at the Grand Cozumel, we were only about 15 from where everyone goes shopping and one night, we went to some little restaurant that was 3 floors up and looked a look shabby -- but the food was GREAT -- the drinks were GREAT! We got lots of margarhita's and lobster and steak and the bill for 2 very happy and drunk customers was $50. We were shocked.

b) Wherever we go, I want to be able to leave the resort and do stuff and I want a place where there are not a ton of kids, but not everyone that is 40, 50, 60, etc... (no offense) -- but we are 28/29 and when I go to a place where all of the adults are my parents age -- I feel like a kid who's parents let them go out on their own

: )

Suggestions? Feedback?

Thanks!

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

In my experience - no. But some of the food is fair. We like good to great food so when we stay at an AI we just eat breakfast there (hard to screw that up) and eat other meals at various restaurants. We stay at an AI for the drinks, not the food. And because we like the hotel in general.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Yes, it does.

Grand Lido Negril, Royal Plantation in Ochi, LeBlanc in Cancun. These are pricey and therefore appeal to the age group you are looking to avoid.

So you are probably not likely to find a resort that caters to the younger set yet offers high standards of food and service. Especially if price is an issue.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Maybe Cozumel Palace? I have never stayed/eaten there, but the people that post here say it is above average. Don't know if that means great, though.

If you are interested in great dining and all the island has to offer, maybe you might want to look at places other than an AI?

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

You should look into Cozumel Palace and read the reviews. It's way smaller and more modern and upbeat than Aventura. I don't think you'll have any problem finding other guests there in your age range! It's within walking distance of most things so you can easily enjoy Coz's excellent restaurants, bars and clubs. You would be giving up the sandy beach, though. Coz Palace is on ironshore - good for snorkelling & swimming but not strollable beach. Otherwise, you should think about renting a condo or villa.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

We have stayed at the Iberostar in Coz and thought the food was outstanding. However, I did not like the small rooms, long distance from town & the lack of a view from the room. But, if great food is more important than those things then try out the Iberostar...

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Tell me why do you want to stay at AI? Sounds like you are ready to venture out away from that whole scene by your comments.

Cozumel has some awesome restaurants and bars. There are condos, bed and breakfasts and house rentals all over the place at all different price ranges. Get a place with a fridge or kitchen and you can inexpensively stock up on drinks and snacks.... who needs the substandard drinks at an AI?

Just a thought but with a little bit of planning (which is easy thanks to the internet) you can ditch the travel agent and do it yourself. Our last trip cost us right about $2000 (travel,lodging,food,activities) That is cheaper than most AI's and we ate what we wanted where we wanted. We can go to whatever beach we want to.... not just stay at the same ol one in front of the AI.

Check out my report on this place.....

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d629…

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,040 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Turquoise, wasn't your trip longer than a week? If so, the $2000 went a much longer way than one might think!

USA
Level Contributor
915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

We stayed at Cozumel Palace in June. The food was awesome. The place is amazing. If you choose an AI, then the Coz Palace should meet all your requests. You wont be disappointed. But if you are wanting to be away from the resort alot, then I agree why an AI. I always stay at AI's then ask myself is that really the way to go? We usally go with a group and it is usually the easiest to meet everyones needs. (no one is stuck waiting on someone to put on their face, everyone can eat on their own time and still meet up)

On the kids issue, there were very few there.

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Here's my 2 cents.

I only get to go on one big vacation a year, so I am willing to splurge a little. Up until 2 years ago, I had never been to an AI and the only two I have ever been to have been Palace resorts. In my opinion, the food at Cozumel Palace is not outstanding but it is pretty good. I am sure that there are restaurants that are better but I am also sure that their are ones that are worse.

What my family and I love about Cozumel Palace is the luxury of being waited on, of having every employee treat you like you are rich and famous. The luxury of being able to order just about anything you want any time you want. I like to sit around the pool and order crazy frozen drinks that I would never order if I was paying for them. And I dont know how it is at other AI's but the drinks at CP are not substandard. Top shelf liquor and they will make the drinks as strong or as weak as you want and if you have a special recipe for Margarita's or Bloody Mary's or whatever, just ask the bartender to make it that way and they will be more than happy to.

MrsLLaCosta2b, I have eaten at ASP and if you didnt like that then I dont think you are going to like the food at any AI.

As far as the ages of the people at the resort, that is going to be hit and miss. When we were at CP last month, there were very few kids but I am sure that at other times there could be a lot of kids. Cozumel probably attracts more families and older adults, most of the 20 somethings probably go to Cancun.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does GOOD FOOD exist in all-inclusives??

Hey Deb, nope it was only 1 week. Total price for gas, airport parking, airfare, bus/taxi, and ferry was approx. $750 USD........ Hotels were approx. $420 USD.............We took $600 in USD with us and we made a withdrawal of $4000 pesos from an ATM which put us out $368 USD.

Add that up and we had an approx. spending of $2138. And we came home with about $100 leftover.

Granted Nate only made 3 dives and we did not do any tours this time. We kept our souvenirs spending to a minimum and we took taxis instead of renting a car.... It was all about chillin at the beach (mainly La Palapita) and relaxing this time. It's nice when you figure out the good cheap places to eat and drink.

Sherry