We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Question???

PARKERSBURG, WV
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Topic
Passport Question???

We have decide to try to make our first trip to Cozumel. Neither one of us have ever had to have a passport. It is my understanding that they have relaxed the laws due to back log and all you need is proof that you have applies. I understand this to be something they give you when you apply. Does anyone know the laws or how it really works. Kind of different info everywhere you read.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Question???

I saw by your hotel post that you're planning to travel soon. There's a large backlog of passport applications at the State Department, so you may not receive one in time.

The first place to look -- immediately -- is: travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Read everything thoroughly and hopefully, there's a passport office (vs. a post office) near you. Best to get all necessary documents & photos together plus money and arrive at the passport office when it opens in the morning. You may have a long wait and you will be charged for expedited service. And you may not receive a passport -- only proof that you have applied.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Question???

Also read this website:

http://travel.state.gov/

It would help to know when you are planning to travel.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Question???

My daughter and 2 grandch. got theirs in 2-3 wks just recently. They have RUSH services. It is $60 per person for the service. You can also pay an extra charge (forget how much) for the postal delivery. Call you local post office that has passport services and they can tell you. I do know, it can take a week or two just to get an appointment, so do that right away!

The people that applied for passports after they announced relaxed the law had an absolute fiasco. There were a lot of posts on this forum about it. I certainly wouldn't suggest you do that.

I'll check my info that I have on the additional postal charge and get back with you. Hopefully, I still have it.

Good luck to you!

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Question???

Sorry, Pook, I don't have that additional info on postage fee. It seems like it was about $50 - $60. Probably all you need though is the expedited processing fee. My daughter didn't pay the extra postage fee and still got hers quickly.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Question???

First thing you need is a birth certificate. You can get these at Vital check. Google it, then apply online and pay to get it asap. Then you can fill out the passport application online and print it out while you wait to get the BC.

Personnaly I wouldn't make any travel plans until I had done all of that and knew I was in the system. Mistakes do happen and they (the passport office) don't always get it right. It takes about 2 weeks to get into the system and you can check online for that information as well.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Question???

Again. If you want fast action, do not mail the applications -- you lose control of the process that way. The State Dept. has announced 2-3 week delays, which means they're running over a month behind at least. August is a big summer vacation month and demand for passports is high right now. You will have best results by going to an official passport office.

PARKERSBURG, WV
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Question???

I have everything together Cert copy of Birth cert., drivers license and photos. We have a post office right here were we live that does passportsa as well as our county clerk. They have told me with the relaxed law change that all we need it proof that we have applied since we are going to Mexico does anyone know if that is correct and will they give me proof that I have applied when I apply. Does anyone know?? I am sure I will not get the passport back in time but if all I need is prook that I have applied why pay the fees to expedite.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Question???

pook, they do not give you the proof you need when you apply. The only acceptable proof that they accept is what is called an Official Status Report. PVE was right when she said it would take a couple of weeks to get into the system. They tell you that it will appear online in 7-10 days but it took a friend of mine 3 weeks to appear. If you expedite it, it will appear in as soon as 4 days.

Make sure you have 2 certified copies of your birth certificate. The passport application will require one that they keep and return to you with your actual passport. You will still need one with the status report and a govrnment issued ID for travel.

It took my friend 3 weeks to get the status report online and only 5 weeks total to get the actual passport, so the system is very unpredictable right now.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Question???

We're traveling in Sept. with my wife's sister and her husband, who applied for their passports 16 weeks ago. Getting nervous they called the passport office and told them that they were traveling in two weeks and the office promised to expedite it in time - without an extra charge. Sure, you may think that this is wrong because it puts others further down the ladder, but what if the office is so backed up that they wait until someone physically calls them before they even act on it? When they called them the automated voice still repeats the "You will get it in 10-12 weeks" B.S. and that you can't talk to a human in the office unless you're traveling in the next 14 days. Sure, they could do the B.C. and proof they applied to get to Mexico, but they applied for their passports when that wasn't an option and were told 8-10 weeks and spent almost $200.00. The office should at least have the honesty to tell callers that the time frame may just be "Whenever". It's become a joke but, hey, that's the government for you.

Fort Worth
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passport Question???

Funny thing; last night me and my wife were wondering if our proof of passport application would work to get into Mexico.

We applied using the regular process on June 30th and they had our applications in process in about 6 days. They said 10-12 weeks for standard processing so when I checked our status last night, I figured there would be no update.

To our great suprise, they had already sent our passports on the 19th - Total of 19 days from when we submitted the application in the Post Office - INCREDIBLE!

Not sure if this is typical processing or not, but we did put our travel dates on our application as being a month out (leaving Aug 1st). Maybe this had something to do with it, but I would definitely do the same so you might have the same luck