We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience in Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bad experience in Cozumel

Seven friends and I went on a Carnival Cruise which one of our stops was in Cozumel. We had gone online to book a shore excursion rather than booking on Carnival. We rented dune buggies and went snorkeling and swimming and sightseeing. We had a great day until we were ending our excursion and a block away we didn't see a stop sign that was in the middle of the block rather than on the corner. We hit a man on a motorcycle. One of my friends is a nurse so she immediately ran and assisted the man until the ambulance arrived. His leg or knee was hurt but nothing life-threatening. The tour guide said that the company had insurance, and that we would only have to pay the deductable. I told him that our money was on the ship, so we would have to go to the ship to get the money. We ended up having to go to the police station and waited until the port authority man showed up. He tells my friend that was driving that she would miss the ship and that the entire process would take 5-6 hours. Of course, we are not leaving her, so I began arguing our case. Long story short, after arguing and arguing even when the owner and insurance man came, they still weren't letting us go. Finally, after talking them into taking us to the ship to get the $350.00 deductable , we get to the ship, and what we learned when we got there was that the port authority had been telling the ship that it would take $3000 to get us back, so guess what? Carnival was very supportive, and gave them the cash so the ship could sail. It was all a scam, and afterwards we learned that it happened all the time. We did pay Carnival the money back, but they were wonderful to us. Lesson we learned was to book any excursion from Carnival when on a cruise, not independently. An expensive lesson learned!!!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

So you ended up paying them $3,000? Thats one expensive mistake!

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
505 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

Lesson learned is when your driving in a forigen counrty beware.

Not only of the scams but the obvious difference in driving practices.

Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
935 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

I think there are 2 lessons

1. If you rent a vehicle, buy the full coverage insurance.

2. Dont ride the mopeds.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

I am surprised no reply's from locals,but I believe this is the procedure for injury accidents in this area of Mexico...This is a lesson to everyone,that pays thousands of dollars for vacation,but skimps on insurance..Also good to touch up on your Spanish,so you can at least read the stop signs,and especially the speed bumps...There seems to be no right of way...Use extreme caution and judgement,and of course no DUI!!!!!

cozumel
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

What i don't understand is if you were with a tour, why did the tour leader not stop at the stop sign so the people he was leading would be aware of the stop sign. The way i see the tours operate is one jeep or buggy is in the lead and is driven by the tour company. They stop where they are suppose to stop etc and wait for any cars who fall behind.

As to accidents they is fairly standard. You go to the police station and sort it out. If you are to blame you need to be able to pay so to speak.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

Islandgus is right. It is the tour leader's responsibility. It was also the leader's responsibility to straighten out the situation. There is more to be said about this incident but, to those of you who take excursions from cruise ships: If you're involved in an incident where money is demanded, immediately request that someone contact the ship's purser, tell him that money is demanded and have him or his representative report to the police station.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

We are a family of 6, renting a jeep from Isis. They say insurance is included, so if an accident happens and it is our fault , how does the insurance work? Why did you have to pay Carnival back? Since it was your fault? Or because it was a scam, and a way for them to get easy money. We are on our own, no cruise ship to help us so should we not do this? Thanks in advance.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

The insurance is to cover you in case of an accident, your fault or not. It's always wise to buy it. You should ask Isis if there's a deductible on their policy so you'll know if & what you're liable for. Keep your mind on the driving when you're behind the wheel & you'll be OK.

cozumel
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

also be aware that most of the north to south avenues have the right of way. the calles which go east to west have the stop signs even if they are hidden. also most of the streets are one way. I normally slow down and look at the more hidden intersections even though i know i have the right of way. Still been run into by a jeep running a stop sign four years ago. Do watch out for the mopeds. They often drive like they are immortal.

Belton
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad experience in Cozumel

What exercursion company did you go thru?